Education

discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Purpleparatroopa Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Education

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:41 am

Why is the high school learning curriculum ridiculous in Ohio?! I'm literally being taught the same stuff that people learn in college. Biology, Geometry, Algebra. If that's ok, then why isn't it AP Music theory a required course? It's just as hard if not harder, and the only option is an AP Class which gets you out of half of a semester in college. This makes me mad. Thoughts?
PWHS 2013 Synth "The World"
PWHS 2014 Bass 1 "Box Music"
PWHS 2015 Quads "The Final Bell"
PWHS 2016 Quads "Through Brass Goggles"
PWHS 2017 Quads "Paradise Reclaimed"
Columbus Saints Drum and Bugle Corps Quadline '17
Galaxy Independent '17 Quadline"From the Ashes"

iguana4prez Offline
noob
noob

Re: Education

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:39 am

AP are college courses. It is supposed to challenge you. I mean you get the College Credit for a reason. Music Theory isn't required since it technically isn't a core class. Yes it is hard, but not everyone needs the class itself in life.
Taking these classes are a good thing to be involved in as the problem solving skills you learn are precious in later adult life.
2013-2014: Mundelein HS (IL) Snareline 9th
2014-2015: MHS Snareline 10th
2015-2016: MHS Snareline 11th
2016-2017: MHS Snareline 12th (Drum Captain)

2017-Present: University of Alabama Million Dollar Band Snareline

Purpleparatroopa Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:17 am

I know that, but not everyone needs to know how to factor polynomials using the reverse foil method

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:58 pm

Purpleparatroopa wrote:I know that, but not everyone needs to know how to factor polynomials using the reverse foil method
You'd be surprised to learn that having a strong mathematical mind will give you an advantage in nearly every career path.

If you want to do anything in any of the following professions, you'll need math:
-Science
-Engineering
-Social Science
-Business

And if you want to be promoted in any field, you'll need business knowledge. If you want to manage people, you'll have to balance a budget and maximize your team's utility. Even if you don't, you'll have to balance your own personal budget. You'll have to determine if it's more effective to pay down credit card debt or student loans, or how big an apartment you can afford to live in, or how much cash you can put down on a car or house.

The point is this: no, most people don't need to know how to factor a polynomial, or find the area under a parabola, or determine whether a series converges or not. But,
1) You don't yet know if your college major or career path will require that of you
2) More importantly, your mind needs to be strengthened now, because chances are from the minute you leave school for the last time your ability to do basic-ass math is going to begin to deteriorate. Being able to solve simple algebra is a useful skill anywhere in life and understanding what a derivative is (even if you don't remember how to derive one) can give you a great understanding of how changes take place far, far outside of the realm of math textbooks. If that's the last thing you learned in math class, chances are that'll be one of the first things you forget to do.

Bottom line: learn your maths. They make you smart and being smart is generally an advantage in the world.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

Purpleparatroopa Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:23 am

I know that a great deal of math is involved in alot of professions but what I'm saying is that it's ridiculous that I am forced to learn stuff I'm never gonna use in order to graduate. (i.e.) Someone that's going for a music major (me) is forced to learn biology and algebra, when the stuff that they'll actually use isn't required. And then to make matters worse, the majority of the band and chorus students here are planning on music majors and they're being taken out of the classes that their career will be based on so they can go into tutoring for math and science stuff. It's just ridiculous.

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Education

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:38 pm

It's not that ridiculous. It's important to have well-rounded mind so for the rest of your life you can have a meaningful understanding of different topics. For example, it's important to know how species and biomes work so you can understand endangerment and how that is affected by human-inflicted change (climate change, deforestation, water pollution. It's important to have an understanding of genes and DNA so you can understand things like genetic disorders like Down Syndrome. The same ideas can be applied to chemistry and physics, as well as a litany of other high school courses you may be thinking are useless.

Even more, while the majority of people in your band in chorus may plan on majoring in music in college, a lot of them are going to change their minds. Maybe half. Maybe even more than that. And after that, only a proportion of the people who graduate with music degrees are going to go to work in music. You most likely don't know what you want to do for the rest of your life at 18 years old. You definitely don't at 14 or 15, and many people don't even know when they graduate college. So I urge you to appreciate that you are afforded the chance to learn a lot of things in school and take advantage of that.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.