Physics class

discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TheOkayGatsby Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Physics class

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:50 am

So I'm taking Honors Physics right now, this is my first time taking a hard science class (my last two classes were Earth Science and Biology), any thoughts on Physics or cool facts/ things you wanna discuss relating to it?

Personally I think it is really cool how to realize that how we think the physical properties of objects operate is only relevant to our small planet. Like our whole instinctual make-up of Physics is irrelevant and miniscule compared to the big bad universe. It's also cool to learn how many forces or factors go into a single small movement, or how mass can never be changed and how weight is actually irrelevant to the universe, etc.
Dig past the surface of life and you'll live fuller.

Forza East Independent (PIO) 2014- Cymbals

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Physics class

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:21 pm

I find general physics (idk about AP and college, have yet to take them) really easy, and enjoy that it takes basic, non pointless algebra (not trig and pre-calc like I'm taking now) can be applied to cool, real life applications, like with circuits and mechanics.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:26 pm

And dude your username is pretty awesome :D
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:28 pm

That's why I loved trig so much (and disliked upper-tier algebra). It's so easy to see applied in the world around you. It's like getting taught life-hacks in school.
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Moral of the story, if you want others to enjoy and play your creations, write them so normal people can play them.
http://nathanaaronphotography.wordpress.com/

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:52 pm

I never saw the real-world applications of what we did in math. Probably why I hate it
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:15 pm

What I love most about math and physics is that I am constantly seeing the world in new and interesting ways. I'm a professional civil engineer who works at a public utility, so I am awash with data. Its paradise for a guy like me. And it never seems like there is enough that can learned. We are just starting in with steam flow metering, at there is some really amazing stuff out there, and I get to learn thermodynamics all over again, plus a dose of acoustics, aerodynamics, and mechanical engineering for applications I had never dreamed of. I could list all the awesome tech I've gotten to play with, and it all goes back to being curious about your environment and attempting to understand it in a quantitative way. Develop good math skills, and never stop being curious. Mathematics is the language of nature.

What I also love about math and physics is that you are trained to seek common threads between a variety of disciplines... physics to chemistry to thermo to statistics. It trains you to think differently. For me, its a lifestyle... I'm always looking for the common thread in every activity I have: work, running, drumming, teaching, parenting. Just reflecting on all this gets me so stoked.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

LilBuerck Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:56 pm

I loved physics. I'm going to be a business major, but I'll be darned if I didn't love me some good old fashioned Newtonian mechanics. It just completely fascinated me that I could actually learn how the world works. It also helps that the two other men in my immediate family are both engineers (my brother is essentially Sheldon from the big bang theory)
The one thing that kinda peeved me about it was how I had to take a trig based physics class. The whole time my teacher kept on saying how much easier it'd be to just use calculus, but the way our courses are set up, I took physics last semester, and am just Noe taking physics. That really grinds my gears. But on the whole, I still loved it.

TheOkayGatsby Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:35 am

schorsquatch wrote:What I love most about math and physics is that I am constantly seeing the world in new and interesting ways. I'm a professional civil engineer who works at a public utility, so I am awash with data. Its paradise for a guy like me. And it never seems like there is enough that can learned. We are just starting in with steam flow metering, at there is some really amazing stuff out there, and I get to learn thermodynamics all over again, plus a dose of acoustics, aerodynamics, and mechanical engineering for applications I had never dreamed of. I could list all the awesome tech I've gotten to play with, and it all goes back to being curious about your environment and attempting to understand it in a quantitative way. Develop good math skills, and never stop being curious. Mathematics is the language of nature.

What I also love about math and physics is that you are trained to seek common threads between a variety of disciplines... physics to chemistry to thermo to statistics. It trains you to think differently. For me, its a lifestyle... I'm always looking for the common thread in every activity I have: work, running, drumming, teaching, parenting. Just reflecting on all this gets me so stoked.
I love seeing people who find so much joy in what they do especially when it is understanding the world around them better, this exactly the reason I'm debating going into Psychology in college instead of Music because as much as I enjoy music I have always deep down enjoyed Psychology and figuring out the human mind/ human social patterns, it just gets me ya know?

TheOkayGatsby Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 am

TheKingofNone wrote:And dude your username is pretty awesome :D
Hahaha thanks :D

TheOkayGatsby Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:37 am

Nathan Aaron wrote:That's why I loved trig so much (and disliked upper-tier algebra). It's so easy to see applied in the world around you. It's like getting taught life-hacks in school.
Exactly I can't wait til I get the chance to apply something I learned to a problem in real life, I know it'll happen someday and I'm going to be mad stoked when I do.

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 am

TheOkayGatsby wrote: I love seeing people who find so much joy in what they do especially when it is understanding the world around them better, this exactly the reason I'm debating going into Psychology in college instead of Music because as much as I enjoy music I have always deep down enjoyed Psychology and figuring out the human mind/ human social patterns, it just gets me ya know?
In my own experience, I find that people that are motivated to do well and try new things can't be held back by their choice of degree, provided they don't stray too far off the reservation. Music and psychology are both pretty specialized, but my wife went from psychology to a master's degree in human resources, and she worked for state government, county government, and now is self employeed pursing her dream as a horse trainer. I've help jobs in geotechnical engineering, geophysics, water distribution, safety, surveying, and am getting started on steam distribution engineering. Breaking into the engineering field would have been more difficult without the engineering degree, but I would have had quite challenge getting into human resources. So if you keep your eye on the landscape of what's available and what appeals to you, and not doing something stupid that totally shuts down your options, then the choice of degree is not really that big of a deal.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

TheOkayGatsby Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:37 am

schorsquatch wrote:
TheOkayGatsby wrote: I love seeing people who find so much joy in what they do especially when it is understanding the world around them better, this exactly the reason I'm debating going into Psychology in college instead of Music because as much as I enjoy music I have always deep down enjoyed Psychology and figuring out the human mind/ human social patterns, it just gets me ya know?
In my own experience, I find that people that are motivated to do well and try new things can't be held back by their choice of degree, provided they don't stray too far off the reservation. Music and psychology are both pretty specialized, but my wife went from psychology to a master's degree in human resources, and she worked for state government, county government, and now is self employeed pursing her dream as a horse trainer. I've help jobs in geotechnical engineering, geophysics, water distribution, safety, surveying, and am getting started on steam distribution engineering. Breaking into the engineering field would have been more difficult without the engineering degree, but I would have had quite challenge getting into human resources. So if you keep your eye on the landscape of what's available and what appeals to you, and not doing something stupid that totally shuts down your options, then the choice of degree is not really that big of a deal.
Thank you, that really helps, I'll keep it all in mind as I transition towards college.