computer programming

discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

computer programming

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 pm

I put this here because it has a similar thinking philosophy as math, and shares a few traits with science as well.

Are there are any other computer programming/computer science majors on this site? Or anybody else who is just learning it for funsies? I'm about to finish my first programming class and I love it. Still using bluej for now, looking forward to using eclipse/C++. What do the rest of you guys use?
Chris
SLD 05 Plates Music of Styx
SLD 06 Plates Music of the Moody Blues
SLD 07 Snare (finally) A Latin Experience
SLD 08 Center Snare La Nouba
Carolina Gold 07 Snare Deja Vu

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: computer programming

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:46 pm

I just got into FSU and am stuck deciding a major, but computer science is currently the one I picked (there is no undecided option). How is the math?
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:01 pm

I taught myself Java in 8th grade. Taught myself C/C++ and various other languages over the years. I've contributed to some open-source projects, I run an open source project myself, done various projects regarding computer security, web design, and some other stuff.

You could say I enjoy the computer sciences.
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

ATShootZ Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re:

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm at Stanford doing CS, just finished learning eclipse/java. Programming is really fun when it isn't due the next day, I'm thinking about majoring in CS as well as music

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Screw you smart guys! That sounds like a lot of fun
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:20 pm

jplovesthequads wrote:Screw you smart guys! That sounds like a lot of fun
It's great..

I started on a TI-83 my freshman year..then went to Java and ran my own Runescape private server for a while..then some Visual Basic..then Objective C (iPhone programming is fun)..now I'm taking more Java
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Eclipse is too requiring for my computer to run it, I program in netbeans considering I like it more anyway. And I only know java, considering what I originally learned from was the fact that I'm in robotics at my school and that's what I do in it.
I've programmed some android apps for my personal uses and also some desktop apps.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

FerreusOpus Offline
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Coding has actually been peaking my interest as of the last couple weeks and I got to poke around with Objective-C and Xcode last weekend on my flights to and from rehearsal for the first time. I'm following along with "Mac Programming for Absolute Beginners." The only issue is that the version of Xcode that I have has outdated the book(pdf)! So not everything works the way it should lol but I enjoy it nonetheless. It's a lot like drumming; It's either written correctly (clean diddles) or it doesn't work (unacceptable dirty diddles).
Youtube.com/FerreusOpus
QuadScience - http://www.snarescience.com/exercises/all-tnr.php
ImageImage

ATShootZ Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:31 pm

FerreusOpus wrote:It's a lot like drumming; It's either written correctly (clean diddles) or it doesn't work (unacceptable dirty diddles).
That is SO true haha you have no idea how many times last quarter I wanted to argue with my computer like "Mac, you're wrong" only to find out I would lose every time. It is very much right or wrong.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Kaitou wrote:
It's great..

I started on a TI-83 my freshman year..then went to Java and ran my own Runescape private server for a while..then some Visual Basic..then Objective C (iPhone programming is fun)..now I'm taking more Java
I've used TI Basic on my TInspire for some basic math programs (that I've used on the state EOCs) for formulae and stuff. The problem is it lost functionality from the TI-84. But I know a little Java. Mainly I've been writing math programs, mainly because they really help when you're learning.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:36 am

VoteLobster wrote:
Kaitou wrote:
It's great..

I've used TI Basic on my TInspire for some basic math programs (that I've used on the state EOCs) for formulae and stuff. The problem is it lost functionality from the TI-84. But I know a little Java. Mainly I've been writing math programs, mainly because they really help when you're learning.
I'm not really a fan of the Inspire..it isn't nearly as intuitive as the 83/84
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:12 pm

It's pretty cool, the graphing interface is nice, and the geometry program is a nice addition. (in fact, I used the geometry program to figure out a theorem I missed on a quiz the other day) But most of the features I don't use regularly. Like, really, who's going to take notes on a calculator with an alphabetical, not qwerty, keyboard? I know someone who works for TI, and she said that they couldn't put a qwerty keyboard AND have it usable on standardized tests, just because they won't want you copying the questions into a text file.

At times I do wish I could get an 84 keyboard to use because it's a little more simple.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

drumer93 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:29 pm

I was gonna be really surprised and be like aw, cool! but then I realized it was you.
(I have class with the op)
facebook.com/drumer93
I like percussion.

Thatdude Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:01 pm

I'm doing a 3-2 program with my university, so I'll end up with two degrees after five years-engineering from one and computer science from the other. My focus is engineering and computer science is foreign to me. What exactly is it?

leemcd56 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:58 pm

FerreusOpus wrote:I got to poke around with Objective-C and Xcode last weekend on my flights to and from rehearsal for the first time.
I hate Objective-C so much... as much as C++ and I fought, I thought we had a good thing going... until I switched to a Mac and learned Objective-C was the language of choice. In retrospect, I should have learned to transition over, but I picked up my old hobby of web development and never looked back.
Facebook - Nathanael McDaniel | LinkedIn - Profile | YouTube - leemcd56

vice Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:08 am

I've been programming for almost 15 years in school and out in the field. If you can learn to live with the fact that you truly know absolutely nothing and how most technologies you learn in school may very well be obsolete by the time you get a real job, then it's definitely a very rewarding career option.

If anyone needs help with some code drop me a PM and I'd be more than happy to help.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:43 am

I'm considering going into some kind of computer science in college. As the world becomes more computer-centered (it's amazing how far we've come...) there's going to be a demand for more programmers and IT people. It's becoming an important and lucrative field... I'm glad I'm able to get a head start on it. The internet is quite a resource.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Harvard released their entire CS-50 introduction to programming on itunes. all the lectures, full, with the 'help' lectures as well as all worksheets and handouts. It covers a whole lot, and its free. look it up!!!
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.