Sub-Absolute Zero

discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Kaitou Offline

Sub-Absolute Zero

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:40 pm

TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Sub-Absolute Zero

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:45 am

This doesn't make any sense to me.

Everything we learn about temperature, heat, and energy says that absolute zero is unreachable.
Theoretically time would stop at absolute zero (being that there would be no energy).

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 pm

The way I understood it (I think I have the right idea..)was by thinking of it in terms of Charles's law. When a gas is heated it expands..so the higher the energy/temperature the more the particles in the gas repel each other. So temperature can be thought of as how strongly the particles push each other away, with absolute zero being the point where they no longer are going to repel each other as they don't move. Going below that to sub-zero K temperatures (which they did with magnetism somehow), the molecules actually attract each other. So instead of pushing each other away..they pull each other closer..the attraction getting stronger the further below zero the "temperature" gets.
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 am

If Einstein was correct in that he said that matter cannot travel faster than light, doesn't that mean there's a limit to how hot something gets? The subatomic movement is so fast that it reaches c? That would take a tremendous amount of energy though. Think of it as an opposite of absolute zero.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 am

http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/mirrors/phy ... ature.html for another explaination
VoteLobster wrote:If Einstein was correct in that he said that matter cannot travel faster than light, doesn't that mean there's a limit to how hot something gets? The subatomic movement is so fast that it reaches c? That would take a tremendous amount of energy though. Think of it as an opposite of absolute zero.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_hot
ImageImage

flamtaps5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 pm

TVOham wrote:This doesn't make any sense to me.

Everything we learn about temperature, heat, and energy says that absolute zero is unreachable.
Theoretically time would stop at absolute zero (being that there would be no energy).
I laugh every time I see your gif haha
Josh
I play snare.