Drum Stand Modification

discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Lwheeler4 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Drum Stand Modification

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 pm

In my engineering class the final project of the semester is to take an existing product and make a modification to it.
We will be putting it into our CAD software and making the modifications to the design.

I have chosen my pearl set snare drum stand because it's one of the only interesting objects in my dorm from a design standpoint.
The only problem is I can't think of a good modification I can apply to it.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!
Lawrence Wheeler

Oxnard High School
C/O 2011 - Snare
San Diego State University
Fall '11 - Snare

Goku Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Drum Stand Modification

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Lwheeler4 wrote:In my engineering class the final project of the semester is to take an existing product and make a modification to it.
We will be putting it into our CAD software and making the modifications to the design.

I have chosen my pearl set snare drum stand because it's one of the only interesting objects in my dorm from a design standpoint.
The only problem is I can't think of a good modification I can apply to it.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Cupholder.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!"

cunninghamkid Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Ya I did that two years ago for my high school sophomore project, I just changed some stuff aesthetically so it looked a little different.

Lwheeler4 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:28 pm

cunninghamkid wrote:Ya I did that two years ago for my high school sophomore project, I just changed some stuff aesthetically so it looked a little different.
Yeah, I may change some stuff aesthetically too; but the change is mainly meant to be for functionality.

I think a cupholder is a golden idea.
I'm probably going to change it to a stick holder, but same idea. :wink:
Lawrence Wheeler

Oxnard High School
C/O 2011 - Snare
Fall '11 - Snare

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:31 pm

1) Wheels.
2) Revolutionize parades.
3) Profit.
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

Lwheeler4 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:36 pm

snarescience wrote:1) Wheels.
2) Revolutionize parades.
3) Profit.
Hahahahahahaha.
I think someone already beat me to that.
But thanks for the input Ryan. :lol:
Lawrence Wheeler

Oxnard High School
C/O 2011 - Snare
Fall '11 - Snare

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 pm

I have always wanted a hydraulic system that would allow me to move the stand up and down with more ease. Sort of like the hydraulic system on my Roc-n-Soc drum throne. Just a thing where you would release the lever and the stand would slowly float up, or you can push down with ease.

In our jazz band at school, one of the drummers is 6'3, the other is 5'10". WE alwasy have to wait in between songs while the fiddle with the snare stand...this situation is what made me think of it...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Lwheeler4 wrote: Hahahahahahaha.
I think someone already beat me to that.
But thanks for the input Ryan. :lol:

yep, leave it to Ron at Too Cool to think of this...nice!
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Goku Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:41 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:I have always wanted a hydraulic system that would allow me to move the stand up and down with more ease. Sort of like the hydraulic system on my Roc-n-Soc drum throne. Just a thing where you would release the lever and the stand would slowly float up, or you can push down with ease.

In our jazz band at school, one of the drummers is 6'3, the other is 5'10". WE alwasy have to wait in between songs while the fiddle with the snare stand...this situation is what made me think of it...

randal may already did that.

It figures. Bulma works there now...
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!"

Lwheeler4 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:07 pm

Goku wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:I have always wanted a hydraulic system that would allow me to move the stand up and down with more ease. Sort of like the hydraulic system on my Roc-n-Soc drum throne. Just a thing where you would release the lever and the stand would slowly float up, or you can push down with ease.

See I was thinking about doing this because I used the randal may stand that has that ability during fall. It seems like their version still needs improvement in some respects. But either way, I doubt I would be able to put that in because frankly I don't really know how they do it, hahaha. I'll talk to my prof and see if he has any ideas about it though.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Lawrence Wheeler

Oxnard High School
C/O 2011 - Snare
Fall '11 - Snare

Goku Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Lwheeler4 wrote:
Goku wrote:

See I was thinking about doing this because I used the randal may stand that has that ability during fall. It seems like their version still needs improvement in some respects. But either way, I doubt I would be able to put that in because frankly I don't really know how they do it, hahaha. I'll talk to my prof and see if he has any ideas about it though.

Capsule tech man.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Goku wrote:

thats what I thought, that someone had already done that, but I couldn't remember who. Tha twas for marching snares though right? I would like the same set up for a shorter set snare. CAn we get Bulma on that?
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:47 am

1) Cupholder
2) Wheels, with a brake system
3) A small light for reading music at night
4) Microwave
5) Metronome
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

knight427 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:33 pm

I don't know exactly how this would work, but here's my idea. Imagine your snare stand set at just the right height and angle of tilt. You are tearing down and your drum is off already. Now grab the feet and depress a button or lever to unlock it, fold the feet up (rather than down as you do on a normal stand). As the feet are folding up, the upper shaft is pulled into the lower shaft, the angle of tilt is returned to "flat" and the snare holding arms fold down over everything, clicking into a locked shut position (and very compact). But now you have to play an encore, so you unlock at the arms, unfold them and the entire process is reversed until it locks into the just-right height and angle of tilt, ready to accept your snare.

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Goku wrote:
Lwheeler4 wrote:
Goku wrote: randal may already did that.

Capsule tech man.
Capsule Corp!
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

for clarification, see related GIF

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:24 pm

knight427 wrote:I don't know exactly how this would work, but here's my idea. Imagine your snare stand set at just the right height and angle of tilt. You are tearing down and your drum is off already. Now grab the feet and depress a button or lever to unlock it, fold the feet up (rather than down as you do on a normal stand). As the feet are folding up, the upper shaft is pulled into the lower shaft, the angle of tilt is returned to "flat" and the snare holding arms fold down over everything, clicking into a locked shut position (and very compact). But now you have to play an encore, so you unlock at the arms, unfold them and the entire process is reversed until it locks into the just-right height and angle of tilt, ready to accept your snare.
That would be awesome
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage