Why is there something rather than nothing?

discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Why is there something rather than nothing?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:04 pm

When I get this answer I usually answer with "why not?", but I'd like to hear some more philosophical answers.

What is the purpose of the Universe/is there a purpose?

noname Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Re: Why is there something rather than nothing?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Is there really something? This could all be imaginary. We'll never know.

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:59 pm

There must be something, otherwise I would not be able to physically type this message to you.

Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:44 am

"Is there a purpose to the universe?"

I see that question as akin to asking "Is there a purpose to a tornado?" I would say no, other than dissipating energy from a thunderstorm. The universe was [most likely] brought about by random quantum interactions between whatever was there before what is there now. Everything that exists in the universe now is part of the slow heat death of the initial expansion due to those interactions. We look around and see a "big" world full of "complex" life when really all our planet or ourselves are is a temporary arrangement of matter fighting against the gradual trend of increasing entropy; sort of like a snow flake is a temporary blip of order out of the chaos of water molecules interacting in the atmosphere or a tornado is a temporary blip of order out of the chaos of a thunderstorm.

For some reason, this mentality scares the crap out of some people. I think it's pretty neat and all the more reason to appreciate and enjoy what we have while we are here to enjoy it.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Chance wrote:"Is there a purpose to the universe?"

I see that question as akin to asking "Is there a purpose to a tornado?" I would say no, other than dissipating energy from a thunderstorm. The universe was [most likely] brought about by random quantum interactions between whatever was there before what is there now. Everything that exists in the universe now is part of the slow heat death of the initial expansion due to those interactions. We look around and see a "big" world full of "complex" life when really all our planet or ourselves are is a temporary arrangement of matter fighting against the gradual trend of increasing entropy; sort of like a snow flake is a temporary blip of order out of the chaos of water molecules interacting in the atmosphere or a tornado is a temporary blip of order out of the chaos of a thunderstorm.

For some reason, this mentality scares the crap out of some people. I think it's pretty neat and all the more reason to appreciate and enjoy what we have while we are here to enjoy it.
for me, this also brings up the notion of significance...or the idea of importance. Why is it important that there is something, or nothing? When I got comfortable with the thought process mentioned above, and realized that I am really just a small blip in the big picture, it was a very liberating experience. To realize that all of the "Self-Importance" that our society tells us we should have is just a farce is a very cool thing. I can now think "Hmm.. I am not really that important. I am not the biggest thing out there...the be all end all of existence." < That takes a lot of pressure off! I love the theory of how we are all temporary, and are always "Coming apart"...it makes it more challenging to me
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:40 pm

My philosophy on the universe is, it's here to create the perfect life form, strictly for funsies. Every planet that bares life is like an experiment with a different purpose and level of awareness. For example our main purpose here is to express and experience, sure we "advance" but i think we're too easily distracted to make it our strong suit. whereas the extraterrestrials that come to us, their sole purpose is to advance the entire race and get better as a unit because they posses a higher level of awareness and realize spiritually they are one. The reason they visit us so often to is because they are slightly envious that they cannot experience such a wide range of emotions like us. Although their lives are undoubtedly better its almost been reduced to heartless computation. Now on to how these experiments work. imagine all of our ideas, feelings, and experiences (just all the data you collect everyday) are all being stored in this spiritual bubble outside of the earth or whatever other planet. At a certain point in the universes lifecycle all the organisms will experience an awakening in which we all become aware to eachother/ouselves and we will transcend past the physical 3rd dimension past the 4th dimension of time and into the 5th dimension of energy and color and this spirit bubble mentioned earlier will behave as sort of a space ship. every bubble from every planet will meet in the center of the universe and compare and contrast morphing and melding ideas of what works and what doesn't until the bubbles become completely aware to eachother and theres nothing left to trade its just one giant mass of cosmic energy and then the entire thing implodes and starts another big bang. we are the creator. I trip on acid way too much.
Norristown Drumline
04-09: Bottom Bass/cymbals
United Percussion
2010-2012: Bass 5, 3, 2
Reading Buccaneers
2010: Bass 3
2013: Bass 1
Carolina Crown
2011: Bass 4
Imperial Dynasty
2013: Bass 3
Teal Sound
BassTech 7/9/2012

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:18 pm

sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:My philosophy on the universe is, it's here to create the perfect life form, strictly for funsies. Every planet that bares life is like an experiment with a different purpose and level of awareness. For example our main purpose here is to express and experience, sure we "advance" but i think we're too easily distracted to make it our strong suit. whereas the extraterrestrials that come to us, their sole purpose is to advance the entire race and get better as a unit because they posses a higher level of awareness and realize spiritually they are one. The reason they visit us so often to is because they are slightly envious that they cannot experience such a wide range of emotions like us. Although their lives are undoubtedly better its almost been reduced to heartless computation. Now on to how these experiments work. imagine all of our ideas, feelings, and experiences (just all the data you collect everyday) are all being stored in this spiritual bubble outside of the earth or whatever other planet. At a certain point in the universes lifecycle all the organisms will experience an awakening in which we all become aware to eachother/ouselves and we will transcend past the physical 3rd dimension past the 4th dimension of time and into the 5th dimension of energy and color and this spirit bubble mentioned earlier will behave as sort of a space ship. every bubble from every planet will meet in the center of the universe and compare and contrast morphing and melding ideas of what works and what doesn't until the bubbles become completely aware to eachother and theres nothing left to trade its just one giant mass of cosmic energy and then the entire thing implodes and starts another big bang. we are the creator. I trip on acid way too much.
hahaha, killer. acid thoughts are mind expanding
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 pm

sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:My philosophy on the universe is, it's here to create the perfect life form, strictly for funsies. Every planet that bares life is like an experiment with a different purpose and level of awareness. For example our main purpose here is to express and experience, sure we "advance" but i think we're too easily distracted to make it our strong suit. whereas the extraterrestrials that come to us, their sole purpose is to advance the entire race and get better as a unit because they posses a higher level of awareness and realize spiritually they are one. The reason they visit us so often to is because they are slightly envious that they cannot experience such a wide range of emotions like us. Although their lives are undoubtedly better its almost been reduced to heartless computation. Now on to how these experiments work. imagine all of our ideas, feelings, and experiences (just all the data you collect everyday) are all being stored in this spiritual bubble outside of the earth or whatever other planet. At a certain point in the universes lifecycle all the organisms will experience an awakening in which we all become aware to eachother/ouselves and we will transcend past the physical 3rd dimension past the 4th dimension of time and into the 5th dimension of energy and color and this spirit bubble mentioned earlier will behave as sort of a space ship. every bubble from every planet will meet in the center of the universe and compare and contrast morphing and melding ideas of what works and what doesn't until the bubbles become completely aware to eachother and theres nothing left to trade its just one giant mass of cosmic energy and then the entire thing implodes and starts another big bang. we are the creator. I trip on acid way too much.
I want that on a t-shirt...that is perfect. I also totally dig the theory.

We Are The Creator...hell yeah
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Cubee Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:02 pm

Seems just as valid as any other theology.
Q

lesterroyer Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:26 am

If there is one, I don't think we're supposed to know.
Facebook.
Flickr
YouTube
SMN '08-'12
Gateway '13
Cascades '13
matthewson98 wrote:i was drunk after the parade where i am one of the drum corps and get party girls over when it's done.. so good to drink while marching! no one see it..

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:45 am

How does the Brooks and Dunn lyrics go?

"I can't believe it all ends with a slow ride in a hearse".

Do you believe THIS IS IT? is this all there is?

Dennis
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:51 am

Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Do you believe THIS IS IT? is this all there is?
Yup. I don't need to imagine an afterlife of ever lasting joy to quell my fears of death. That's all the promise of an afterlife is for anyway - keeping people satiated with the sometimes crappy here and now with the promise of a much better afterward. I would much rather enjoy my life now knowing that once I die it's done, than spend my days hoping against hope that some part of me will live on afterward. I am no more likely to experience such a thing as the insects I accidentally step on or the rats and mice I feed to my snakes. We humans are just egotistical enough to imagine we're special and can transcend death.

ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:15 am

Spirit Snare 80 wrote:How does the Brooks and Dunn lyrics go?

Dennis

as yourself as you know it yeah thats it. as the endless universal life energy we like to refer to as god no. i think thats where we like to get the idea of heaven from. yeah you are reunited with your loved ones but only in the sense of you all become a part of the same energy. its impossible to recognize eachother or yourself but we still exist as something. but the idea that there can be a reward or punishment for the way you live your life seems silly to me. we're just not important enough to have a consequence. like the reward or punishment is having a good or crappy life and how that effects your contribution to the grand scheme.
(i don't mean to be presenting this as fact, this is just how the world works for me and its different for everyone, this is just the easiest way to say it)
Norristown Drumline
United Percussion
Reading Buccaneers
Carolina Crown
Imperial Dynasty
Teal Sound
BassTech 7/9/2012

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:40 am

Dennis

I do believe this is it.

Looking at things Scientifically it's almost obvious, really.. Chance pretty much touched on everything, but we live a pointless life. My Biology professor described the Universes time scale as a calender where each day is a billion years. The time that humans have been around is 1 minute on the 25th day of the calender, which is like the last couple million years. Your individual life is less than 1/4th of a second on the 13th hour of the 25th day.

If ever there was insignificance, that is it.

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:22 am

If this is it, I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!

Dennis
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:58 am

Dennis
...I don't even need the hearse...just pitch me into the trash with everything else. Once the brain is dead ALL is dead
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Lwheeler4 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:50 pm

I know this video has been posted before, but I find it extremely interesting and it relates to this topic.

He starts talking about the question at 40:50.
Lawrence Wheeler

Oxnard High School
C/O 2011 - Snare
San Diego State University
Fall '11 - Snare

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:59 pm

here is a question for you-prove that I exist
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

noname Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:09 pm

TVOham wrote:There must be something, otherwise I would not be able to physically type this message to you.
Did you really type it to me? I mean, I'd guess you probably did, but my point is, your message and my response could all just be a part of your imagination. Or my imagination. And even if we met in person and watched each other type, that might still be a hallucination. I think there is something. I really do. But to answer why, my best guess is that there's a God, and he made jank happen. But that's an entirely different discussion.

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Dennis
How do you feel about the 'eternity' before your conception during which you didn't exist? Does it make you feel sad? Happy? Indifferent?

IMHO, we are all star stuff, temporarily gathered into an arrangement of living, breathing, conscious creatures. When we die our bodies will break down into their constituent parts and will most likely go on to become pieces of a future creature. This makes me feel happy and content.

I'm going to go play the circle of life lick right now. :)
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:14 pm

noname wrote:
TVOham wrote:There must be something, otherwise I would not be able to physically type this message to you.
Did you really type it to me? I mean, I'd guess you probably did, but my point is, your message and my response could all just be a part of your imagination. Or my imagination. And even if we met in person and watched each other type, that might still be a hallucination.

Imaginations and hallucinations are something.
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08

noname Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:53 pm

snarescience wrote:
noname wrote:
Did you really type it to me? I mean, I'd guess you probably did, but my point is, your message and my response could all just be a part of your imagination. Or my imagination. And even if we met in person and watched each other type, that might still be a hallucination.
Fair enough, but they aren't real. I can imagine myself winning 1st place at the DCI I&E competition on snare drum, but that won't actually happen unless I do it. It's my imagination, and I guess that's something, but it exists only for me personally, not for everyone.

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:05 pm

noname wrote:
snarescience wrote:
noname wrote: Did you really type it to me? I mean, I'd guess you probably did, but my point is, your message and my response could all just be a part of your imagination. Or my imagination. And even if we met in person and watched each other type, that might still be a hallucination.
It's my imagination, and I guess that's something, but it exists only for me personally, not for everyone.
Says you. <puts on tin foil hat>
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08

Lwheeler4 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:08 pm

noname wrote:
snarescience wrote:
noname wrote: Did you really type it to me? I mean, I'd guess you probably did, but my point is, your message and my response could all just be a part of your imagination. Or my imagination. And even if we met in person and watched each other type, that might still be a hallucination.
Fair enough, but they aren't real. I can imagine myself winning 1st place at the DCI I&E competition on snare drum, but that won't actually happen unless I do it. It's my imagination, and I guess that's something, but it exists only for me personally, not for everyone.
I think this boils down to the "I think, therefore I am" philosophy of Descrates.
Lawrence Wheeler

Oxnard High School
C/O 2011 - Snare
San Diego State University
Fall '11 - Snare

ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:30 pm

noname wrote:
Did you really type it to me? I mean, I'd guess you probably did, but my point is, your message and my response could all just be a part of your imagination. Or my imagination. And even if we met in person and watched each other type, that might still be a hallucination. I think there is something. I really do. But to answer why, my best guess is that there's a God, and he made jank happen. But that's an entirely different discussion.
maybe thats why they say "life's a trip". when it comes down to it all you really have is yourself, everyone else is an accessory. my one question is why do feel that theres only one person to credit when you cant know for sure its a person? theres so much in the universe isnt it a bit narcissistic to think for one its a humanoind creature and 2 a man? mayhaps its just a force, not controlling everything but just making everything possible. a force that cannot discriminate like the gods most worship because it isnt a conscious being, but rather it just is. the one thing i think religion got right is "god is all loving" what i think they got wrong is "god is all loving IF...". what im trying to say is im alive and i believe in myself, youre alive and im sure you believe in yourself, i believe in you because i have faith youre real, i believe in "god" because i believe in us. we manisfest reality every day, we are omniscient in the sense we actively see and control the future and if we all have a singular goal in mind whats to stop us other than ourselves? and thats why drumline is such a powerful activity.
Norristown Drumline
United Percussion
Reading Buccaneers
Carolina Crown
Imperial Dynasty
Teal Sound