Biological Cycles

discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

DiddledGinger Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Biological Cycles

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:06 am

So, In my Trigonometry class this semester, my teacher had us do a neat little project to practice graphing cosine and sine waves. The idea is that you calculate the exact amount of days you are alive, and then calculate where you are in each cycle.

There are three cycles:
Emotional (Crest:being optimal feeling of content/Trough:being worst feeling) Length:28 days
Intellectual (Crest:When you feel smartest?/Trough:Not feeling the smartest) Length:30 days
Physical (Crest:when you feel your body is stronger/ Trough:Weaker or lazier than normal) Length: 32 days

Anyway, once you calculate the exact amount of days you've lived, you then apply these cycles and find out where you happen to be. Even though there is no proof or anything behind this, it was still a neat little project and when ever I get curious I check it out and sometimes there's some pretty cool coincidences. You can look ahead and predict when you may be at you're best when all three cycles meet at their optimal point. It's just something that I thought was pretty cool.

Thoughts? Have any of you ever seen/heard of something like this? Ever tried it?

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Biological Cycles

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:36 am

DiddledGinger wrote:So, In my Trigonometry class this semester, my teacher had us do a neat little project to practice graphing cosine and sine waves. The idea is that you calculate the exact amount of days you are alive, and then calculate where you are in each cycle.

There are three cycles:
Emotional (Crest:being optimal feeling of content/Trough:being worst feeling) Length:28 days
Intellectual (Crest:When you feel smartest?/Trough:Not feeling the smartest) Length:30 days
Physical (Crest:when you feel your body is stronger/ Trough:Weaker or lazier than normal) Length: 32 days

Anyway, once you calculate the exact amount of days you've lived, you then apply these cycles and find out where you happen to be. Even though there is no proof or anything behind this, it was still a neat little project and when ever I get curious I check it out and sometimes there's some pretty cool coincidences. You can look ahead and predict when you may be at you're best when all three cycles meet at their optimal point. It's just something that I thought was pretty cool.

Thoughts? Have any of you ever seen/heard of something like this? Ever tried it?
Interesting. Although I'm sure these numbers aren't exact (if there is any science to be had here), and the cycles are probably different for young children (if not all prepubescent persons), and there's no way to know where you were in the cycle at birth, if anywhere, meaning that predictions based on your "days lived" would be wrong.

However, you could poll yourself of a course of weeks to try and map your cycles, and use a model to determine when you will peak in each area (in addition to predicting your "best day" (which, after some shotty maths, appears to happen once every 74 years).
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

bassplace Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:57 am

DiddledGinger wrote:So, In my Trigonometry class this semester, my teacher had us do a neat little project to practice graphing cosine and sine waves. The idea is that you calculate the exact amount of days you are alive, and then calculate where you are in each cycle.

There are three cycles:

this is wrong. my physical strength is always over 9000
super duper extra special mad fantastic bluesville blueberries drumline!!
- 2008 - 2nd snare from the left of the right side of the quadline - the muffincake chronicals
- 2009 -3rd snare in from the right side of the bassline - the strawberry shortcake story
- 2010 -middle to the left of the right center snare (im way better than him) - sugar fantasy's

nickname - THE POWERDIDDLER

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:23 am

bassplace wrote:

There are three cycles:

this is wrong. my physical strength is always over 9000

You just made my night.

DiddledGinger Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:45 am

tommyservo7 wrote:

There are three cycles:

Interesting. Although I'm sure these numbers aren't exact (if there is any science to be had here), and the cycles are probably different for young children (if not all prepubescent persons), and there's no way to know where you were in the cycle at birth, if anywhere, meaning that predictions based on your "days lived" would be wrong.

However, you could poll yourself of a course of weeks to try and map your cycles, and use a model to determine when you will peak in each area (in addition to predicting your "best day" (which, after some shotty maths, appears to happen once every 74 years).

It's practical to run this project from the day you were born, meaning each cycle starts that day and also meaning if this were true, everyone's cycle would be different. Maybe you could also try planning specifics for each cycle aswell as all of them, like taking a test/quiz on an intellectually high day or something. It's all just a cool experiment. Back when I did this, she had us map out our cycles at least a year ahead and I still check it every now and again and there's some really interesting coincidences. If you didn't mind the decent amount of work to actually map out a year of your life, I'd really encourage you to try it out.