Darwin Day Roadshow 2012

discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Darwin Day Roadshow 2012

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:15 am

I just wanted to share some awesome news with you guys. The National Evolution Synthesis Center (http://www.nescent.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is having another Darwin Day Roadshow event to commemorate Darwin's birthday and the teach people about the effects of evolutionary sciences on our daily lives. They send out groups of evolutionary scientists to small, rural schools to discuss their research and how to pursue careers in science. It's a way for students to meet "real" scientists and dispel the idea that they're all old guys in lab coats with antisocial personalities, and also a great opportunity for students to talk about the real science of evolutionary biology.

I sent in an application for my school to be a stop on the Roadshow and a couple of days ago I got the news that mine will be one of only two stops they're going to make in Arkansas. Unfortunately not surprisingly, they didn't receive many requests from Arkansas teachers.

This is going to be a great opportunity for my students and for my school district. I'm in the process of organizing the event and will probably invite other local teachers and their students as well as other educational colleagues.

If any of you are near one of the stops, I encourage you to see if you can attend. I know NESCent wants it to impact as many people as possible. You can see more about the Roadshow at http://roadshow.nescent.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.