Mammoth cloning

discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth


Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]
Message
Author
TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Mammoth cloning

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:28 pm



http://www.tgdaily.com/general-sciences ... ul-cloning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Thoughts?
Image


percphreak Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
User avatar
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:59 pm



Cool beans man
AMEA North West Regional Junior Honor Band-Principal Percussionist
Dark Sky Percussion 2010-Pit
Coconino High School Marching Band 2011/2012-Center Snare
Coconino High School Symphonic Band 2011/2012-Principal Percussionist
AMEA North West Regional Honor Band 2011/2012-Principal Timpanist
AMEA All State Honor Orchestra 2012-Section Percussionist
http://www.youtube.com/user/PercPhreak?feature=mhee


petrolika Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
User avatar
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:35 am
Location: The Land of Oz.

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:31 pm



percphreak wrote:Cool beans man
:lol:
Les femmes françaises ne sont pas poilu, ils ont juste beaucoup d'ombre autour de leurs aisselles, qui donne aux gens la perception de la pilosité français.


tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Posts: 3808
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:58 pm
Location: New Jersey/Indiana

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:04 am



The cloning of extinct animals maybe the most awesome thing to happen to biology since evolution.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.


TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 am



Since everyone is saying boring things I'll play devils advocate.

What's the point. If Evolution is true (which it is) then mammoths died out because they were unsuccessful as a species so why should we bring them back? Shouldn't we be focusing our efforts in Biology on more important things like the fact that we're going to pass the capacity constant soon, which entails a massive extinction drop off for humans unless we can find a way to use technology to colonize Mars or create more resources?
Image


tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Posts: 3808
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:58 pm
Location: New Jersey/Indiana

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:24 pm



TVOham wrote:Since everyone is saying boring things I'll play devils advocate.

What's the point. If Evolution is true (which it is) then mammoths died out because they were unsuccessful as a species so why should we bring them back? Shouldn't we be focusing our efforts in Biology on more important things like the fact that we're going to pass the capacity constant soon, which entails a massive extinction drop off for humans unless we can find a way to use technology to colonize Mars or create more resources?
I find it funny that people say Pandas who can't find the effort to reproduce should be allowed to die out. Its funny because we're not far off from being able to terraform Mars, yet people couldn't give less of a *beep*. This planet is going to die (probably because of us, in my opinion) and when its time to find another home, people will bitch because we should've started terraforming decades or centuries beforehand. Each day we wait increases the chance that billions of people will die due to laziness and greed.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.


i_like_turtles

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:51 pm



Seriously, what is the point of doing this? This is a stupid idea.

Top
   

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Posts: 3808
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:58 pm
Location: New Jersey/Indiana

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 pm



This *beep*'s pretty off the hook in my opinion.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 pm



I like the idea of terraforming other planets, but I think it is extremely unlikely to ever happen in practice. Our resources will be much better spent solving our problems on Earth.

In highscool I loved to dream about human exploration / expansion into space. After 6 years of aerospace engineering courses I learned how innefficient and infeasible human space travel really is.

Robotic space science missions ftw!
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:27 pm



snarescience wrote:I like the idea of terraforming other planets, but I think it is extremely unlikely to ever happen in practice. Our resources will be much better spent solving our problems on Earth.

In highscool I loved to dream about human exploration / expansion into space. After 6 years of aerospace engineering courses I learned how innefficient and infeasible human space travel really is.

Robotic space science missions ftw!

So basically you're saying we're all doomed?


I think we SHOULD just let pandas die out. I mean, there's not a more useless bear on the planet.
Survival of the fittest.
Image


DiddledGinger Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:20 pm



Jurassic Park LOL


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:40 pm



TVOham wrote:
snarescience wrote:I like the idea of terraforming other planets, but I think it is extremely unlikely to ever happen in practice. Our resources will be much better spent solving our problems on Earth.

In highscool I loved to dream about human exploration / expansion into space. After 6 years of aerospace engineering courses I learned how innefficient and infeasible human space travel really is.

Robotic space science missions ftw!

So basically you're saying we're all doomed?


I think we SHOULD just let pandas die out. I mean, there's not a more useless bear on the planet.
Survival of the fittest.
In the LONG term, I think it is probably near a 100% probability that humans will become extinct. It is possible there will be major technological breakthroughs that allow intergalactic travel through worm holes or some such thing, such that we could colonize other planets and survive the Sun going supernova (assuming we aren't already extinct by then), which would be totally awesome. :mrgreen:

And yes, this mammoth thing is totally Jurassic Park style. I think it would be awesome if they can get it done.
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


i_like_turtles

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:42 pm



TVOham wrote:
snarescience wrote:I like the idea of terraforming other planets, but I think it is extremely unlikely to ever happen in practice. Our resources will be much better spent solving our problems on Earth.

In highscool I loved to dream about human exploration / expansion into space. After 6 years of aerospace engineering courses I learned how innefficient and infeasible human space travel really is.

Robotic space science missions ftw!

So basically you're saying we're all doomed?


I think we SHOULD just let pandas die out. I mean, there's not a more useless bear on the planet.

Survival of the fittest.
There is no such thing as a useless bear.

I hope you understand the humor since I am a Missouri State Bear, I have a new love for bears.

Top
   

petrolika Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
User avatar
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:35 am
Location: The Land of Oz.

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:54 pm



i_like_turtles wrote:
TVOham wrote:
snarescience wrote:I like the idea of terraforming other planets, but I think it is extremely unlikely to ever happen in practice. Our resources will be much better spent solving our problems on Earth.

In highscool I loved to dream about human exploration / expansion into space. After 6 years of aerospace engineering courses I learned how innefficient and infeasible human space travel really is.

Robotic space science missions ftw!

So basically you're saying we're all doomed?


I think we SHOULD just let pandas die out. I mean, there's not a more useless bear on the planet.

Survival of the fittest.
There is no such thing as a useless bear.

I hope you understand the humor since I am a Missouri State Bear, I have a new love for bears.
Bear Grylls.
Les femmes françaises ne sont pas poilu, ils ont juste beaucoup d'ombre autour de leurs aisselles, qui donne aux gens la perception de la pilosité français.


sheenaricks Offline
noob
noob
User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:49 am



I have been reading a lot about this topic.It was reported that Japan and Russia have agreed to interact in an effort to clone a mammoth by 2017.However,researchers question whether it is ethical to re-create a species that is extinct – both from a standpoint of humane treatment and a standpoint of medical ethics. There are strong arguments on both sides, and as researchers continue their work, the final deadline for decision and action will soon come.I believe this will be a massive achievement in the world of science but it's kinda terrifying. :shock: My Article Source: http://www.newsytype.com/13798-clone-wooly-mammoth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:36 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:40 am



snarescience wrote: In the LONG term, I think it is probably near a 100% probability that humans will become extinct. It is possible there will be major technological breakthroughs that allow intergalactic travel through worm holes or some such thing, such that we could colonize other planets and survive the Sun going supernova (assuming we aren't already extinct by then), which would be totally awesome. :mrgreen:

And yes, this mammoth thing is totally Jurassic Park style. I think it would be awesome if they can get it done.
Alas our nearest star's fate is not to be that exciting. It's just not big or massive enough to explode. Instead when it reaches the end of its fuel supply, it will grow outward into a red giant, consuming the four inner terrestrial planets. At its max size Europa (the frozen moon of Jupiter) will be more like a tropical ocean world. Then the star will condense back into a brown or white dwarf, leaving a cold ring of gas giants continuing to circle.

My personal opinion on the mammoth issue, as it would be for dodos, moas, Tasmanian tigers, or dinosaurs, would be go for it. It would be a remarkable achievement of science to be able to clone a healthy, living organism from ancient DNA. It would also be a great way to get a first hand account of how these creatures actually lived. True it wouldn't be in a completely natural state, but then again no zoo in the world can provide truly wild habitats for the animals it houses yet we've learned huge amounts of information from zoos.

If it's a question of ethics, then you could assuage your concerns with the fact that we are the likely force that drove mammoths to extinction, as well as other animals like dodos and moas and elephant birds. I don't see a problem with correcting a mistake, just as I would hope we would make an attempt to bring back something like a clouded leopard if/when it ever goes extinct.


drumer93 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
User avatar
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:54 pm
Location: Shelby, NC

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:03 am



Image
facebook.com/drumer93
I like percussion.


snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:10 am



Chance wrote:Alas our nearest star's fate is not to be that exciting. It's just not big or massive enough to explode. Instead when it reaches the end of its fuel supply, it will grow outward into a red giant, consuming the four inner terrestrial planets. At its max size Europa (the frozen moon of Jupiter) will be more like a tropical ocean world. Then the star will condense back into a brown or white dwarf, leaving a cold ring of gas giants continuing to circle.
Woops! The Sun's expansion to a red giant was what I had in mind but I used the completely wrong term. Thanks for the correction.
Ryan Wold
Image
Image
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09


TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:21 pm



Chance wrote:
snarescience wrote: In the LONG term, I think it is probably near a 100% probability that humans will become extinct. It is possible there will be major technological breakthroughs that allow intergalactic travel through worm holes or some such thing, such that we could colonize other planets and survive the Sun going supernova (assuming we aren't already extinct by then), which would be totally awesome. :mrgreen:

And yes, this mammoth thing is totally Jurassic Park style. I think it would be awesome if they can get it done.
Alas our nearest star's fate is not to be that exciting. It's just not big or massive enough to explode. Instead when it reaches the end of its fuel supply, it will grow outward into a red giant, consuming the four inner terrestrial planets. At its max size Europa (the frozen moon of Jupiter) will be more like a tropical ocean world. Then the star will condense back into a brown or white dwarf, leaving a cold ring of gas giants continuing to circle.

My personal opinion on the mammoth issue, as it would be for dodos, moas, Tasmanian tigers, or dinosaurs, would be go for it. It would be a remarkable achievement of science to be able to clone a healthy, living organism from ancient DNA. It would also be a great way to get a first hand account of how these creatures actually lived. True it wouldn't be in a completely natural state, but then again no zoo in the world can provide truly wild habitats for the animals it houses yet we've learned huge amounts of information from zoos.

If it's a question of ethics, then you could assuage your concerns with the fact that we are the likely force that drove mammoths to extinction, as well as other animals like dodos and moas and elephant birds. I don't see a problem with correcting a mistake, just as I would hope we would make an attempt to bring back something like a clouded leopard if/when it ever goes extinct.

What ever happened to survival of the fittest?
Image


Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:36 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 am



TVOham wrote:
Chance wrote:What ever happened to survival of the fittest?
You know, as much of an evolution proponent as I am, and am currently in the midst of the history of evolution unit in my biology classes, I'm not exactly sure that natural selection (aka "survival of the fittest" which is often misused) really applies when it comes to how our species is impacting other species. Or at least it doesn't apply in the normal ways. We are driving the rapid extinction of a lot of the biodiversity on this planet, from amphibians to whales, some through conscious effort (like whaling) and some through unconscious, or at least less than conscious, accident (like climate change's impact on amphibians). I think if we are going to drastically alter the environment as we have, the the typical rules of natural selection no longer really apply in many cases. Therefore, I don't see a problem at all with trying to resurrect a now extinct species and certainly not with trying to preserve and reverse the decline of an endangered species. Besides, we benefit from the biodiversity in innumerable ways. To decrease that diversity may have drastic effects on our own species.

The same argument that could be applied like so: well if they were better fit to their environment then they would be able to survive what we put them through; could be turned around like so: our own attempt to save or resurrect species is part of our own evolution and thus part of our own fitness.

Goes both ways, kinda like much of human sexuality :lol:


lesterroyer Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Roeland Park, KS

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:01 pm



Honestly, I think this is a great project. It's definetely something we could use to acuire more knowledge. I just don't want any human cloning. That just seems like a terrible idea...
Facebook.
Flickr
YouTube
SMN '08-'12
Gateway '13
Cascades '13
matthewson98 wrote:i was drunk after the parade where i am one of the drum corps and get party girls over when it's done.. so good to drink while marching! no one see it..


Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:36 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:14 pm



lesterroyer wrote:I just don't want any human cloning. That just seems like a terrible idea...
If you've actually educated yourself on what we could do with human cloning techniques, I would be interested to hear why you think it's a bad idea.


TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:31 pm



Well I say we just do what we can as a successful species.
At this point with programs like NASA losing funding and Science basically going to the way-side (specifically in America) it's inevitable that humanity is going to take a huge hit sometime in the next century or so. Extinction drop offs are common throughout history. Just wait for humans to get hit and until they do lets just *beep* everything up!


What is wrong with cloning humans?
We're well on our way to doing it with the latest studies on Embryonic stem cells.
Image


lesterroyer Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Roeland Park, KS

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:12 pm



Chance wrote:
lesterroyer wrote:I just don't want any human cloning. That just seems like a terrible idea...
If you've actually educated yourself on what we could do with human cloning techniques, I would be interested to hear why you think it's a bad idea.
I mean like, if you did it for medical purposes, it could be really cool, but if you had to create life for parts, it'd be unethical in my opinion. I wouldn't want another one of me running around, just sounds like a bad idea.
Facebook.
Flickr
YouTube
SMN '08-'12
Gateway '13
Cascades '13
matthewson98 wrote:i was drunk after the parade where i am one of the drum corps and get party girls over when it's done.. so good to drink while marching! no one see it..


Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:36 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Mammoth cloning

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:57 am



lesterroyer wrote:I mean like, if you did it for medical purposes, it could be really cool, but if you had to create life for parts, it'd be unethical in my opinion. I wouldn't want another one of me running around, just sounds like a bad idea.
There's a slight inconsistency in your response. You'd be fine with cloning for medical purposes, but not for growing new parts? The real benefit I see in human cloning is being able to grow you a brand new liver/heart/etc if yours fails, not making you wait for John Doe to kill himself on the highway and hope he's a match. Even if he is, you'd have to take a host of anti-rejection drugs to dampen your immune system so that your own body doesn't attack the new organ, effectively making you live as if you have full AIDS for probably at least a year. If instead we could just grow you a new one based on your own DNA, then there would be no risk of rejection because it would, in essence, be your own organ.

I'm assuming what you're implying is that you wouldn't want us to grow entire bodies for the sole purpose of harvesting parts? If so, then yes I'd agree. But the benefits if being able to clone new organs for replacement or to treat things like MS, Parkinson's, etc are limitless.


Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum