quick question (having to do with human Evolution)

discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

quick question (having to do with human Evolution)

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Obviously humans didn't descend until a few million years ago so they couldn't have existed on Pangaea.

So my question is how did it come to be that there were humans in the Americas AND the Eastern continents?
Was it convergent Evolution or some sort of bizarre dispersal?

koopthepoopscoop Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: quick question (having to do with human Evolution)

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Alaska and asia used to be connected by a large land bridge which has since eroded to being below the water level. Asians come over, become native americans

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:56 pm

koopthepoopscoop wrote:Alaska and asia used to be connected by a large land bridge which has since eroded to being below the water level. Asians come over, become native americans
I've heard this theory before but I have a few problems with it.
They dispersed all the way down into South America? It seems unlikely that such a small group of people would be able to make such a journey (even passing through Alaska would be treacherous in itself).
I understand that this dispersal would have happened over thousands of years but even in such a large time span it seems unlikely to me..

pho17 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:26 pm

TVOham wrote:
koopthepoopscoop wrote:Alaska and asia used to be connected by a large land bridge which has since eroded to being below the water level. Asians come over, become native americans
I've heard this theory before but I have a few problems with it.
They dispersed all the way down into South America? It seems unlikely that such a small group of people would be able to make such a journey (even passing through Alaska would be treacherous in itself).
I understand that this dispersal would have happened over thousands of years but even in such a large time span it seems unlikely to me..
This is the most probable and widely accepted theory. There are many aspects of evolution that might seem unlikely but are entirely possible. The migration of humans to the Americans via the Bering land bridge is alleged to have happened roughly 16,000-14,000 years ago. Though it might seem like a historically short time period, it actually allowed a very long time for the species to move into South America (consider, for example, the rapid movement and expansion of humans over the past 500 years). Some further evidence exists in the physical similarities between Asian peoples and indigenous South American peoples like the Quechua. Geology also supports this theory.

Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 am

Human migration patterns are well documented through paleontological, anthropological, and most importantly, genetic evidence that has been gathered over the past 100 years or so, genetics of course being much more recent. The likelihood, as koop said, is that humans spread into North America over the Bering land bridge. Was the trip dangerous? You bet. In fact, from what I can recall, there was a large now extinct species of bear that may have prevented humans from crossing until they figured out ways to protect themselves from it, and may have eventually caused its extinction. But cross it they did and migrated down through the Americas. We're a pretty resilient species so it's no surprise that in 15,000 or so years we were able to colonize the entire western hemisphere.

DNA is the key to understanding human evolution, and genetic evidence clearly shows how we spread out once we left Africa. The most exciting aspect of human evolution, IMHO, is how many other hominids may have diverged from us and lived alongside us until we drove them to extinction, maybe even a relatively short time ago.

Here are a couple of decent diagrams depicting migration patterns.

nicklawls Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:36 am

To add to chance's post, there is genetic evidence that suggests that we interbred with Neanderthal and other now extinct hominids as we migrated out of Africa. A lot of people today still have Neanderthal DNA.
bass is the place yo
Pucoats

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:08 pm

Chance wrote:Human migration patterns are well documented through paleontological, anthropological, and most importantly, genetic evidence that has been gathered over the past 100 years or so, genetics of course being much more recent. The likelihood, as koop said, is that humans spread into North America over the Bering land bridge. Was the trip dangerous? You bet. In fact, from what I can recall, there was a large now extinct species of bear that may have prevented humans from crossing until they figured out ways to protect themselves from it, and may have eventually caused its extinction. But cross it they did and migrated down through the Americas. We're a pretty resilient species so it's no surprise that in 15,000 or so years we were able to colonize the entire western hemisphere.

DNA is the key to understanding human evolution, and genetic evidence clearly shows how we spread out once we left Africa. The most exciting aspect of human evolution, IMHO, is how many other hominids may have diverged from us and lived alongside us until we drove them to extinction, maybe even a relatively short time ago.

Here are a couple of decent diagrams depicting migration patterns.

How did humans get down into Australia out of curiosity?

zball75 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:06 pm

nicklawls wrote:To add to chance's post, there is genetic evidence that suggests that we interbred with Neanderthal and other now extinct hominids as we migrated out of Africa. A lot of people today still have Neanderthal DNA.
Prove it

DCHS Drumline
11-12 Snare
12-13 Snare
13-14 Snare
Youtube Channel
Twitter

Bassnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:34 pm

zball75 wrote:
nicklawls wrote:To add to chance's post, there is genetic evidence that suggests that we interbred with Neanderthal and other now extinct hominids as we migrated out of Africa. A lot of people today still have Neanderthal DNA.
Prove it
Here's a peer-reviewed scientific paper on the subject:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/328/5979/710.full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zball75 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:59 pm

Bassnare wrote:
zball75 wrote:
Prove it
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/328/5979/710.full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very interesting. Thank you

DCHS Drumline
11-12 Snare
12-13 Snare
13-14 Snare
Youtube Channel
Twitter

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:15 pm

zball75 wrote:
Bassnare wrote:
zball75 wrote: Prove it
Very interesting. Thank you

Get big.
Get mad.

sir snare Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:41 pm

zball75 wrote:
Pics or it didn't happen.
:lol:
Colt Cadet Snare 2011
Mayo High School Snare 2008-2012
Lourdes Indoor Drumline Snare 2010-2012
Dojo Percussion Snare 2013
Lee clary wrote:Im 13 i honestly dont care right now its the internet.

PogoPantheon Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:03 am

sir snare wrote:
zball75 wrote:
Pics or gtfo.
:lol:
xD
i have marched in HS and Div. 2 DCI.
my opinions and comments are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect the beliefs, teachings, or opinions of any group i am associated with.
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:when your about to go insane take the time to stop and appreciate how nice the color guard girls butt looks while shes wearing virtually nothing. give yourself a highfive then go back to being awesome at band.