Neutrinos

discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Ryan Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Neutrinos

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:46 pm

One of my clients at work is an astrophysics major at UCLA. The day before yesterday, he told me that neutrinos move faster than the speed of light. Naturally, being a non-scientist, my question was, "So, do they not have any mass?" He told me that they do have mass, though, which is why I'm confused. It's been my understanding that any object with mass is unable to travel at light speed.

So, if neutrinos do you have mass, and if they do travel faster than light, does that mean that Einstein was wrong? Will physicista have to re-work gravitational theory?

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Neutrinos

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Ryan wrote:One of my clients at work is an astrophysics major at UCLA. The day before yesterday, he told me that neutrinos move faster than the speed of light. Naturally, being a non-scientist, my question was, "So, do they not have any mass?" He told me that they do have mass, though, which is why I'm confused. It's been my understanding that any object with mass is unable to travel at light speed.

So, if neutrinos do you have mass, and if they do travel faster than light, does that mean that Einstein was wrong? Will physicista have to re-work gravitational theory?
If the measurements can be backed up and repeated independently by other scientists, then it seems that yes, Einstein was wrong and his theories will need revision. People who don't understand science might say that this is an example of science failing, but in fact this is exactly how science is supposed to work.
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

Bassnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Neil deGrasse Tyson posted this on facebook:
"Misbehaved neutrinos? Three possibilities, in order of likelihood: 1) Mistake. 2) Selected neutrinos live backwards in time; OK with Relativity Theory. 3) Create a new theory that extends Relativity into previously untested regimes. (That's what happened to Newton's Laws when Relativity subsumed them.)"

bltsponge Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Bassnare wrote:Neil deGrasse Tyson posted this on facebook:
"Misbehaved neutrinos? Three possibilities, in order of likelihood: 1) Mistake. 2) Selected neutrinos live backwards in time; OK with Relativity Theory. 3) Create a new theory that extends Relativity into previously untested regimes. (That's what happened to Newton's Laws when Relativity subsumed them.)"
What does that mean?
Q

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:01 am

I heard about this.

If Einstein's theory was correct then this is a mistake.

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:47 pm

bltsponge wrote:
What does that mean?
In other, I think, neutrinos may be able to travel through the fourth dimension in directions other than the one we travel in ("forwards"). A neutrino moving "backwards" through time might experience time dilation backwards, meaning it would appear to travel faster than light instead of slower? I'm confusing myself.

I don't understand how you can measure something moving faster than speed of light. How would you be able to observe it, or observe the actual neutrino as opposed to the image of the neutrino, which would still move at light speed?
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

pablodurando Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:17 pm

The actual paper.

I'm nearly convinced that this is a giant fluke. Too many arguments against it.

knight427 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Sorry, no FTL neutrinos here. Please move along.

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:33 pm

knight427 wrote:Sorry, no FTL neutrinos here. Please move along.
It amazes me how controlled and precise these experiments need to be and how SO MANY environmental variables must be accounted for. Loose cable -> 60 BILLIONTHS OF A SECOND error -> entire scientific community freaking out.
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:34 pm

"Misbehaved neutrinos? Three possibilities, in order of likelihood: 1) Mistake. 2) ..."
This man is smart.
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08