discuss cool nerdy stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TheSpaceInvaderer Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Wormholes

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:11 pm

What do you guys think of them?

http://www.daviddarling.info/encycloped ... mhole.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you guys think we could use them for time travel? I do not think it to be a possibility. I believe any wormholes that could form would close off at a single point. Thus allowing no travel through them.

drumsrock36 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Wormholes

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:09 am

Well I think that time travel without the use of wormholes is more plausible since all you have to do is just travel extremely fast and this is has been proven astronauts that are on the space station for an extended period of time come back to earth slightly younger than us on earth.

Now wormholes to me seem to be a more likely way of traveling long distances in space if you could figure out a way to make them more stable. Then I suppose you could then use them for time travel as well but only into the future since traveling into the past isn't possible since you can't travel faster the speed of light (and in terms of time as you go faster time as we know slows down and when you reach the speed of light "time" doesn't exist). So no you can not travel in time or otherwise in wormholes since they are so unstable but if you could stabilize them I think you probably could though I wouldn't want to go through the wormhole. hahaa

That's my $.02 I have to admit that wormholes aren't my expertise, I am more fascinated with black holes to be honest but wormholes are just interesting to talk about as well . I am sorry if I rambled a bit on this and I'm tired so if some of this isn't "correct" that's the reason.
Jenalin wrote: "If you don't get this part right, I will personally go to your house, kill your dog, and beat you with it until you cry"

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Time travel doesn't exist. However, it's possible to extend your own lifetime. If you've ever heard of the Twins Paradox you'll understand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drumsrock36 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:46 am

TVOham wrote:Time travel doesn't exist. However, it's possible to extend your own lifetime. If you've ever heard of the Twins Paradox you'll understand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well wouldn't extending your own lifetime be a form of time travel? I mean take the astronaut example that astronaut is traveling into the future while traveling at great speeds in the space station compared to us on earth. If you synchronized two clocks perfectly then sent one to the space station and left one on earth when the clock returns to earth there would be a slight difference in time. Therefore proving the possibility traveling into the future. Yes this difference in time is slight but it is time travel nonetheless.
Jenalin wrote: "If you don't get this part right, I will personally go to your house, kill your dog, and beat you with it until you cry"

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:50 am

drumsrock36 wrote:
TVOham wrote:Time travel doesn't exist. However, it's possible to extend your own lifetime. If you've ever heard of the Twins Paradox you'll understand.
Well wouldn't extending your own lifetime be a form of time travel? I mean take the astronaut example that astronaut is traveling into the future while traveling at great speeds in the space station compared to us on earth. If you synchronized two clocks perfectly then sent one to the space station and left one on earth when the clock returns to earth there would be a slight difference in time. Therefore proving the possibility traveling into the future. Yes this difference in time is slight but it is time travel nonetheless.
I don't think that's time travel. You're not leaping forward or backwards in time, well you wouldn't be able to go backwards period.

What do you think about black holes? According to Stephen Hawking if you sent a clock into a black hole it would just stop ticking.

drumsrock36 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:59 am

TVOham wrote:
drumsrock36 wrote:
I don't think that's time travel. You're not leaping forward or backwards in time, well you wouldn't be able to go backwards period.

What do you think about black holes? According to Stephen Hawking if you sent a clock into a black hole it would just stop ticking.
I agree you wouldn't be able to go backwards but I do think that this is a form of time travel no matter how slight it is. Since you are younger than the people on earth. Well black holes if I remember correctly when matter is approaching the event horizon the laws of physics and time begin to morph and when the matter is finally pulled into the black hole time as we know it no longer exists. I agree with Stephen Hawking and I believe there was another physicist some what recently that said time in a black hole does not exist but for the life of me I can't remember who that was.

pablodurando Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:58 am

TVOham wrote:Time travel doesn't exist.
Tachyons.

snarwhal007 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 pm

drumsrock36 wrote:I agree you wouldn't be able to go backwards but I do think that this is a form of time travel no matter how slight it is. Since you are younger than the people on earth. Well black holes if I remember correctly when matter is approaching the event horizon the laws of physics and time begin to morph and when the matter is finally pulled into the black hole time as we know it no longer exists. I agree with Stephen Hawking and I believe there was another physicist some what recently that said time in a black hole does not exist but for the life of me I can't remember who that was.
Something that, at least it seems to me, has been overlooked in this thread is that time is relative. This pretty much can say that time will pass differently in different locations; and depending on a person's current perception of reality, time can also pass at different rates for two people standing next to each other. And since 'when matter is approaching the event horizon the laws of physics and time begin to morph', then it makes perfect sense why time would travel differently relative to your position in space.
pablodurando wrote:
TVOham wrote:Time travel doesn't exist.
Tachyons.
Oh yes, and Tachyons are hypothetical, but you are making sense. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I see it, Tachyons:Theory of Relativity::Complex Numbers:Quadratic Functions. They technically don't exist in our dimension, but can still be measured; like complex number technically don't exist in a real number plane, but are still measurable.
"Be better." -TJ Barrett

My Favorite Corps:
#1Image
#2Image
#3Image

Rubik's cube? Those are adorable childrens' toys!

CZawadzki Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Location: in a pineapple under the sea next to a stone head and a rock

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:29 pm

What do you think about black holes? According to Stephen Hawking if you sent a clock into a black hole it would just stop ticking.[/quote]

thats because a black hole would destroy the clock by condencing it to a miniscule size
BBJH TCGC 2011 4th place.
Magnolia HS d-_-b
11 Reverberations, Snare
d0_0b

snarwhal007 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm not saying its time travel like going back to 1989 or forward to see who's DCI champs for the next few years to try and make money off it or whatever. Technically, we're all time travelling right now, but we're all accustomed to how time passes at our position in space, making it the norm for us. Anything outside that norm would also be time travel, and travelling through time at a different rate from what we're accustomed to is the type of time travel that i'm referring to.
"Be better." -TJ Barrett

My Favorite Corps:
#1Image
#2Image
#3Image

Rubik's cube? Those are adorable childrens' toys!