Composition Discussion Thread

post music that you wrote!

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Location: West Deptford, New Jersey, The United States of America, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Composition Discussion Thread

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:57 pm

Recently, the site's seen a huge upswing in burgeoning composers; I'm extremely enthused by this fact. With the amount of material being generated on the site, as well as the sheer number of writers both new and experienced, I thought that it might be a good idea to have a place where everyone could discuss writing, and where people might give insight to their peers.

This is that thread.

So yeah. Go.
2007 - 2010: West Deptford High School (07-08 FE, 09-10 quads)
2013: Spirit of Atlanta (Marimba)
2014: Bluecoats (Vibraphone)

-Glenn Dawson

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

DrummerChops Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Composition Discussion Thread

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:15 pm

AWA wrote:Recently, the site's seen a huge upswing in burgeoning composers; I'm extremely enthused by this fact. With the amount of material being generated on the site, as well as the sheer number of writers both new and experienced, I thought that it might be a good idea to have a place where everyone could discuss writing, and where people might give insight to their peers.

This is that thread.

So yeah. Go.

I'm really excited about this thread, I can't wait to see what people have to say.
hotbeats645 wrote:"when your hands move as fluidly as your mouth, you will be allowed to speak"

StankoSlavi Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Is this percussion writing period, or just music writing in general?

AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Location: West Deptford, New Jersey, The United States of America, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Primarily percussion, since that's what we deal with on this site, but other musical compositional techniques can be discussed if the topic arises.

-Glenn Dawson

tdubasdfg Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:23 pm

I found out today that I really like Ab Minor
Hi! I'm Travis :D

Captain_Pit Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:33 am

tdubasdfg wrote:I found out today that I really like Ab Minor
Ha, me too. Well that and Db Minor.
This is a turtle:

tdubasdfg Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:21 am

Captain_Pit wrote:
yeah same here

i mean technically, anything you can do in one key you can do in another, but for some reason certain keys sound better in different ways.

weird...
Hi! I'm Travis :D

BLAKE13 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:39 am

I know this thread probably isn't meant for this type of thing, but I'm trying to get help with something so....

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8579
Capital Regiment 2009 (Bari)
Dominion Storm Indoor Drumline 2010, 11, 12 (Snare)

My opinions are MY OPINIONS. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it, we're all entitled to them.

uscdrums26 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Captain_Pit wrote:
Technically, it would be G# and C# minor. You don't usually refer to their relative majors as Cb and Fb, respectively.
Laurens District 55 High School (Laurens, SC)
2010 - Present >> Percussion Director/Arranger

WGI 2009, 2010 (Gold), 2011

Facebook

nickstix91 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:35 pm

This should be an interesting thread to watch...and Ive got a good question that might start an actual discussion

Lately ive been able to begin alot of compositions with things ive come up with while playing the marimba. However I will write it out on paper, slightly edit it when going to the computer...but then im stuck with what I have and have trouble continuing the flow of a composition sometimes.

any advice?
Cadets Winter Percussion - Marimba 14'
RAGE Indoor Snareline 12'
DAHS Battery/Front Ensemble Instructor 2010-Present
MHS Battery/Front Ensemble Instructor 2013-Present
www.facebook.com/cisumpercussion

AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:19 pm

uscdrums26 wrote:
Captain_Pit wrote:
Technically, it would be G# and C# minor. You don't usually refer to their relative majors as Cb and Fb, respectively.
Not usually, but it does happen (and when it does, I want to punch the composer in the mouth).
nickstix91 wrote:Lately ive been able to begin alot of compositions with things ive come up with while playing the marimba. However I will write it out on paper, slightly edit it when going to the computer...but then im stuck with what I have and have trouble continuing the flow of a composition sometimes.

any advice?
Sometimes, what you have written will be a fragment, or not necessarily the beginning of your piece. It can be difficult to see your written lick in the context of a larger work which does not exist yet, but when you realize that there is blank paper before your already-written music as well, you will feel much freer in terms of compositional flexibility. Additionally, it may help in that if you flesh out a previous section, then mentally play through your written section, you might be able to more readily define where you want to go next in terms of flow.

-Glenn Dawson

nickstix91 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:13 pm

AWA wrote:Sometimes, what you have written will be a fragment, or not necessarily the beginning of your piece. It can be difficult to see your written lick in the context of a larger work which does not exist yet, but when you realize that there is blank paper before your already-written music as well, you will feel much freer in terms of compositional flexibility. Additionally, it may help in that if you flesh out a previous section, then mentally play through your written section, you might be able to more readily define where you want to go next in terms of flow.
Thanks for the advice, I used this concept with a string quintet I was writing. As far as the percussion ensemble piece I kind of hit a wall with, the section I wrote out and composed was actually written as an introduction. So the blank paper before it dosent do much ha.

This thread needs to continue though, im sure other people of questions?

uscdrums26 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:01 pm

AWA wrote:
uscdrums26 wrote:
Captain_Pit wrote: Ha, me too. Well that and Db Minor.
Not usually, but it does happen (and when it does, I want to punch the composer in the mouth).
Totally.

Facebook

noisesplit Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:50 pm

I was wondering what is the basic key to write a composition? Any answer will be welcome

StankoSlavi Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:07 pm

noisesplit wrote:I was wondering what is the basic key to write a composition? Any answer will be welcome
Any key really. Experiment, that's what I always do. Just pick a key and write with it.

Captain_Pit Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:13 pm

StankoSlavi wrote:
noisesplit wrote:I was wondering what is the basic key to write a composition? Any answer will be welcome
Any key really. Experiment, that's what I always do. Just pick a key and write with it.
Yeah, same. The more you write, the more you realize what each key sounds like and what type of music fits with it. But if you are looking for easy, C major is the easiest.
This is a turtle:

noisesplit Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:00 am

Captain_Pit wrote:
StankoSlavi wrote:
Yeah, same. The more you write, the more you realize what each key sounds like and what type of music fits with it. But if you are looking for easy, C major is the easiest.

OKAY... thanks for that. Maybe I should say "What is the basic things to write a composition?" to be clearer.

PogoPantheon Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:09 am

noisesplit wrote:OKAY... thanks for that. Maybe I should say "What is the basic things to write a composition?" to be clearer.
Mainly all you need to know is basic music theory, such as intervals (simple and complex), scales and modes, the sounds they create respectively, chords, and basic melodic/harmonic structure.

Once you've mastered composing simple and structured tunes, you can move on to adding Nuance or speed or big intervals or cool chords and arranging certain parts to certain instruments for specific sound qualities and such.

Though i'm not talking totally about battery arranging, here's an example: really good battery arrangers like Paul Rennick and Mike McIntosh don't add rudiments and crap because it looks cool or is fun to play, they do it because different rudiments create different sounds, such as 3 singles versus a puhduhduh. Sure, sometimes they have to do certain things so you end on the right hand and so it isn't TOO difficult, but in general they right parts more for the sounds. I may actually start a thread about that on that thought.

hope that helped. For the basic theory stuff, just get the complete idiot's guide to music theory, it's really good.
i have marched in HS and Div. 2 DCI.
my opinions and comments are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect the beliefs, teachings, or opinions of any group i am associated with.
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:when your about to go insane take the time to stop and appreciate how nice the color guard girls butt looks while shes wearing virtually nothing. give yourself a highfive then go back to being awesome at band.

PogoPantheon Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:09 am

noisesplit wrote:OKAY... thanks for that. Maybe I should say "What is the basic things to write a composition?" to be clearer.
Mainly all you need to know is basic music theory, such as intervals (simple and complex), scales and modes, the sounds they create respectively, chords, and basic melodic/harmonic structure.

Once you've mastered composing simple and structured tunes, you can move on to adding Nuance or speed or big intervals or cool chords and arranging certain parts to certain instruments for specific sound qualities and such.

Though i'm not talking totally about battery arranging, here's an example: really good battery arrangers like Paul Rennick and Mike McIntosh don't add rudiments and crap because it looks cool or is fun to play, they do it because different rudiments create different sounds, such as 3 singles versus a puhduhduh. Sure, sometimes they have to do certain things so you end on the right hand and so it isn't TOO difficult, but in general they right parts more for the sounds. I may actually start a thread about that on that thought.

hope that helped. For the basic theory stuff, just get the complete idiot's guide to music theory, it's really good.
i have marched in HS and Div. 2 DCI.
my opinions and comments are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect the beliefs, teachings, or opinions of any group i am associated with.
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:when your about to go insane take the time to stop and appreciate how nice the color guard girls butt looks while shes wearing virtually nothing. give yourself a highfive then go back to being awesome at band.

stapleswithanafro Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:51 pm

I find my compositions to be all over the place with little in the sense of a consistant theme. Any suggestions for how to remedy? Wat do you all do when you want to write something? I find myself going on sibelius and writing a passage then coming back a week or so and continuing repeating this until i have a cadence and in some cases what looks like a movement in a show
LosOsosHighSchool Pit 2008-2009
Los Osos High School End Snare 2009-2010
Los Osos High School Center Snare/Drumline Captain 2010-2011
"Like a Bossanova"

num1drummer Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:30 pm

i have a question about copyright if any of ya'll know about this.

at my school, each class of percussionists (freshman, soph, junior, senior) has an end of the year solo that we play at a recital. freshmen have a rudimental snare solo (pratt book), sophomores have a 4 mallet solo, juniors have a timp/ multi percussion solo, and seniors pick a topic and do a project on it.

i want to do my project on this marimba improv solo that has latin grooves behind it (drumset, world percussion and such). i have already transcribed most of it.

my question is, if i manage to get some of the top kids to play it at our end of the year concert, would i need to copyright it? i mean, nobody films it or anything, but i would love for that to be my senior project.
rudlka89 wrote:You're all retarded pieces of trash.

uscdrums26 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:45 am

num1drummer wrote:i have a question about copyright if any of ya'll know about this.

at my school, each class of percussionists (freshman, soph, junior, senior) has an end of the year solo that we play at a recital. freshmen have a rudimental snare solo (pratt book), sophomores have a 4 mallet solo, juniors have a timp/ multi percussion solo, and seniors pick a topic and do a project on it.

i want to do my project on this marimba improv solo that has latin grooves behind it (drumset, world percussion and such). i have already transcribed most of it.

my question is, if i manage to get some of the top kids to play it at our end of the year concert, would i need to copyright it? i mean, nobody films it or anything, but i would love for that to be my senior project.
If you're not using it to sell or perform at a competition, you should be fine. Just remember in the program to credit the original composer.

Facebook

drumer93 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:18 am

Captain_Pit wrote:
I like E major.
Yeah, I know, I'm kind of emotional.

anyway, how do you guys come up with stuff?
like, how does the writing process begin?
facebook.com/drumer93
I like percussion.

nickstix91 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:26 pm

drumer93 wrote:
Captain_Pit wrote:
I like E major.
Yeah, I know, I'm kind of emotional.

anyway, how do you guys come up with stuff?
like, how does the writing process begin?
My best melodies usually come to me while playing either marimba, vibes, piano, etc...

just kind of...messing around on the instrument and hearing something I like, I then build on that initial thought.

oh, and I like G minor...and F# minor haha

lesterroyer Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:30 pm

C Minor
dun dun dun dun!
Facebook.
Flickr
YouTube
SMN '08-'12
Gateway '13
Cascades '13
matthewson98 wrote:i was drunk after the parade where i am one of the drum corps and get party girls over when it's done.. so good to drink while marching! no one see it..