General Sibelius/Finale/Music Software Help Thread

post music that you wrote!

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

pcs80 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: General Sibelius/Finale/Music Software Help Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:00 pm

billc36 wrote:Are you using the stock Sibelius sounds? If you are, then you wouldn't be able to. You'd have to have access to the samples themselves and create an instrument that Sibelius Player would recognize and you'd have to create a map for playback/appearance.
Sibelius 6 gives you access to the raw .wav samples if you go into where the sounds were installed. Not sure if Sib 7 also does this but I would assume that with knowledge of how the percussion maps work you could do this if you have Sib 6.

WHSnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Just in case anyone was wondering, I contacted their customer support. They got back with me almost immediately. This is what they said:

That's the MIDI value for the percussion note you've entered. You can turn this off by clicking on the View menu>>Show>>Percussion MIDI Values.

Please feel free to respond to this case if you have any further questions about this issue.
awakentosleep wrote:Yeah, but it was sort of like the Americas before Columbus: just a bunch of uncultured savages running around killing each other, smoking peyote, and eating dirt.
I drum sometimes, but I'm no good.

YouTube

JoshuaBuffone Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:24 pm

So Im writing a flams exercise in Finale, and Im having trouble with notating flams on tenors when the grace note and the primary note are on two different drums...this seems like it'd be a pretty obvious issue with an equally obvious solution that Im just too stupid to see, but help would be appreciated.
My opinions are mine and mine alone; they DO NOT represent the opinions of the groups I am associated with.

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:27 pm

JoshuaBuffone wrote:So Im writing a flams exercise in Finale, and Im having trouble with notating flams on tenors when the grace note and the primary note are on two different drums...this seems like it'd be a pretty obvious issue with an equally obvious solution that Im just too stupid to see, but help would be appreciated.
Just click the grace note tool then add the note as you would a regular one..well on 2012 it works just like that haha
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

JoshuaBuffone Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:26 am

Got it...getting used to the flam notation. Ill probably just stick with using the grace note notation via articulation tool though; it sounds super sloppy when I use the actual grace note notation.
My opinions are mine and mine alone; they DO NOT represent the opinions of the groups I am associated with.

tboliske Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:25 am

JoshuaBuffone wrote:Got it...getting used to the flam notation. Ill probably just stick with using the grace note notation via articulation tool though; it sounds super sloppy when I use the actual grace note notation.

Know that when you use the articulation tool for flams there is no playback. To improve the playback using the the grace note tool in simple/speedy entry go to Document Options > Grace Notes and set it to 32 rather than 128. You may still need to adjust it to sound good to your ear, but 32 is really close and much a much tighter sound.

JoshuaBuffone Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:53 pm

So apparently its impossible to put a piece in 16/20...ok cool. Thanks Finale.

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:00 pm

JoshuaBuffone wrote:So apparently its impossible to put a piece in 16/20...ok cool. Thanks Finale.
1. Why the *beep* are you writing in 16/20
2. How would you count that?
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

JoshuaBuffone Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Well the piece starts at 110, then there is a 2/4 bar of accented 16th note 5lets. What Im trying to do is make the 16th note 5lets metrically modulate into being regular 16th notes. What Im doing to achieve this easily (and make it playable) is have one bar of 16/20 following the 2/4 bar. Providing you keep the energy and motion the same, you can easily mentally adjust. The following bars would just be notated at the new tempo in 4/4.

16/20 = 16 individual 16th note 5lets in one measure (to mimic a regular 4/4 bar).

Im pretty sure I worked this out to be correct, so mathmatically speaking, come at me bro.

awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Or, you could just put it in 4/4 and change the tempo so that the 5let in the 2/4 bar = 16th note in the 4/4 bar.

JoshuaBuffone Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:57 pm

But the point of the 16/20 bar is to have a segue from one tempo to the next.

Or, to put it differently, you could do the exercise after an "8 and off" from the met.

But yeah I still cant figure out how to do this in Finale.

awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:04 pm

I know what you're saying. Have you ever seen in a piece of music during a tempo change something like "16th note=8th note triplet" above it? That means starting on the next bar, the 8th note triplets will be the same speed as the current 16th note. That's what you're trying to do. I know how to do that type of tempo change with regular note denominations, but not 5lets.

JoshuaBuffone Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Ive heard pieces like that, never seen it notated though. You mean you can do that in finale? If you tell me how to do that I may be able to experiment with it a bit and find out how to do it with 5lets.

awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Using the Expression Tool, double click above the 4/4 bar after the 2/4 bar. Go to Tempo Alterations, and select Create Tempo Alteration on the bottom. Go to Insert Note, and you can input a type of note, then put = and then put the other type of note. I don't know how to do it with tuplets though.

awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:23 pm

I forgot. After doing that, go to the Playback tab in the Create Tempo Alteration window, and do what you want in there.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:04 pm

Is there a way to permanently change flam position in Finale so that they don't appear directly above the note?
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Can anyone help me with getting Kontakt set up so I can use VDL? I bought the VDL Demystified DVD, but the videos on Kontakt Player are missing so I'm not entirely sure how to set it up.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

Cubee Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:54 pm

Buranri wrote:Can anyone help me with getting Kontakt set up so I can use VDL? I bought the VDL Demystified DVD, but the videos on Kontakt Player are missing so I'm not entirely sure how to set it up.

If the videos are missing, you should contact whoever sold you the dvd.
Q

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:04 pm

I bought it from Tapspace. I posted on the forums yesterday, but no luck.

Edit: Also every other video on the DVD works fine, so there's a good chance it just got scratched or something - I've had it since March, just never found time to install it. It's just 3 of them that aren't playing.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

Cubee Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Buranri wrote:I bought it from Tapspace. I posted on the forums yesterday, but no luck.

Edit: Also every other video on the DVD works fine, so there's a good chance it just got scratched or something - I've had it since March, just never found time to install it. It's just 3 of them that aren't playing.

You should call or email them directly. I'd imagine tapspace would be fine sending you the missing files that you can't access because the product is damaged. After all, you did pay for the videos.
Q

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:12 pm

What setup problems are you having with Kontakt? Are you using Sibelius or Finale? What OS are you using?

More info would help immensely.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:21 pm

I just don't know how to work Kontakt, and what to do with it to have Sibelius load the sounds. I bought the template from The Write Score, but I'm not really sure what to do with it. I tried just working with the videos after that, but when I try to do the same steps shown in the video (when loading instruments in Sibelius) they aren't there.

I'm using Snow Leopard, with Sibelius 7.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 pm

You've missed a step in the install process. Honestly, the install guide for the template is pretty straight forward. The only thing I can think of that might be different off the top of my head is the install path. With Sibelius 5 and 6, in application support there was a folder called "Sibelius". For Sibelius 7, that folder is called "Avid".

They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:11 pm

It was in the wrong folder, so I just changed that. However, the issue I'm having is that when I try to add an instrument and select the Choose Instruments menu, the VDL instruments aren't listed there. Also, what's the difference between Kontakt 5 (AU) and Kontakt 5 (VST)?
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:14 pm

They are two different ways of doing the same thing. That's not what's causing your loading issues however.

There should be a .xml file that you got with the template. That goes in the "Sounds" folder. The path should be [user name]>Library>Application Support>Avid>Sibelius 7>Sounds. You may need to create the sounds folder.