General Sibelius/Finale/Music Software Help Thread

post music that you wrote!

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

billc36 Offline

Re: General Sibelius/Finale/Music Software Help Thread

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:15 am

The new Rumble sounds have some issues with balance. For some reason they didn't seem to spend much time working on balance than when they used VDL Lite.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Cubee Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:32 am

billc36 wrote:The new Rumble sounds have some issues with balance. For some reason they didn't seem to spend much time working on balance than when they used VDL Lite.

Hm... any fixes out there? I can kinda get it to balance by maxing out basses and putting quads and snares at around 1/4, then turning my system volume all the way up. It works, but it's annoying to do every time I open a new score.
Q

billc36 Offline

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:31 am

Not that I'm aware of. I continue to use VDL sounds for my playback.

They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

billc36 Offline

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:37 am

Buranri wrote:But what if I need to do two separate instruments at once? The instrument changes I know of changes that whole part to the different instrument. I need to still have it on marimba, but be able to play bongos, conga, etc. I'll check the manual though
You'll have to create other staves for some of the playback and hide them. You'll also input the notes into the main staves for print purposes and turn those notes off.

awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Yo Bill, I've got a pretty hefty question for you. I'm running Finale 2011 and VDL 2.5 through Kontakt Player 2 on a 5 month old Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM and i7 processor. During playback, each time I arrive at a certain spot, I get the error message "Not enough DFD Memory! Could not start voice!" from Kontakt Player 2, even though playback continues. At this point, every instrument is playing, and there's lots of layers and whatnot happening in the pit.

Now, I did a little research on the Tapspace forums and found out that means I need to allocate more RAM to the instrument that is causing the error. First of all, is that correct, and if so, how do I find out which instrument and how much more RAM to allocate?

billc36 Offline

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:57 pm

I've always found it easiest to tweak the latency to about 42-52ms. That way, the playback isn't taxing the system as much and gives a bit cleaner playback.

You can also use Lite instruments whenever possible.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:32 am

Is there any composition program (other than Finale, Sibelius, etc.) that is free that I could use for marching percussion type stuff? I need one that can add flams, grace notes, buzzes, rolls, diddles, etc. I guess I could find some soundfont elsewhere, but it would be nice if it enabled playback. It would also be nice if it would support stuff like bass lines, tenors, etc. Ideas?

I've already used Finale, but that sucks for marching percussion, and I don't want to have to buy software for this. I've tried Musescore, but it was too difficult to use.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

billc36 Offline

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:56 am

Musescore is the only free one.

How in the world does Finale suck for marching percussion? I use both Finale and Sibelius and find them very easy to use with marching percussion.

tboliske Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:00 pm

If you're using the free or one of the limited versions of Finale, then yes there are issues for marching percussion. The full version, as Bill says, works great. And I should know.

Ted Boliske

Spontaneous Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:41 pm

I just started to use Sibelius and VDL 2.5.
I am using Kontakt 4 and a free template from tapspace (I don't want to buy one till I know what I'm doing).

Right now I can't hear any of the sounds. I selected the sound set under playback devices.
I added the SnareLine Manual to the score and added some notes but I can't hear anything.

I have looked around for some stuff but haven't been able to find much to help.
Some help would be great!
Thanks!

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:47 am

Which version of Sibelius are you using?

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm trying to work with a score for a full marching band, so a decent number of instruments, and Sibelius just doesn't want to work. It keeps lagging and occasionally crashing, and my whole computer is a bit slow when I have it in the background. Is my computer just not powerful enough to do this? I have a late 2010 Macbook Pro, I believe 4 gigs of ram.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

billc36 Offline

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:17 pm

You're computer can't keep up. Adjust the latency in the playback configuration.

You probably experience more during dense parts of the score I'm guessing.

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:43 pm

billc36 wrote:You're computer can't keep up. Adjust the latency in the playback configuration.

Yep. It also crashes whenever I try to save...
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Buranri wrote:
billc36 wrote:You're computer can't keep up. Adjust the latency in the playback configuration.

Yep. It also crashes whenever I try to save...
Also, how do you adjust the latency? I don't see any option to change it.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

Spontaneous Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:51 pm

billc36 wrote:Which version of Sibelius are you using?
I somehow got it to work and it has been consistent. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but whatever I'm doing now has worked for a while! Thanks though.

Another question I have is about the playback of grace notes or flams. If I have a repeated bar when it reaches that bar, the flams do not sound in the playback.

How can I get it sound the flams sound in the repeated bar?
I'm using Sibelius 7 and VDL 2.5
Thanks
Attachments
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (22.92 KiB) Viewed 3558 times

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:49 pm

Spontaneous wrote:
I somehow got it to work and it has been consistent. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but whatever I'm doing now has worked for a while! Thanks though.

Another question I have is about the playback of grace notes or flams. If I have a repeated bar when it reaches that bar, the flams do not sound in the playback.

Thanks
There is no free template for Sibelius 5,6 or 7. Son I'm not sure what template you are referring to. The last free one that TapSpace had was for Sibelius 4.

As to your problem, how are you inputting the repeat?

Spontaneous Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:29 pm

billc36 wrote:
Spontaneous wrote:

Thanks
There is no free template for Sibelius 5,6 or 7. Son I'm not sure what template you are referring to. The last free one that TapSpace had was for Sibelius 4.

As to your problem, how are you inputting the repeat?
I was able to find one somewhere on the internet. I think it was the Sibelius site. It is for Sibelius 5.2 but it works for Sibelius 7 (from what I understand).
I did a quick google search and this may be the one I am using.
http://www.tapspace.com/pages.php?pageid=24

Anyways, I am inputting the repeat by using the keypad. I tried it two ways through keypad. I tried clicking the blank measure after the measure I want repeated and then clicking the repeat last measure button. I also tried copying the measure that I wanted repeated into the next measure then selecting the repeat last measure button.
I don't remmber

RyanCHS93 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re:

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:20 am

Can someone tell me how to put cymbal rolls in marimba/vibe parts without having so many ledger lines? I don't have a template either, so I don't know if that could be the problem. Also, When I'm trying to map parts for aux/rack it won't load all of the sounds. I don't understand why its doing that, but its getting pretty annoying, so if anyone can help, thank you. :D
Celebration High School
'08-'10: Sax
'10-'11: Bass 3
'11-'12: Center Snare/Drumline Section leader

Tampa Bay Thunder
'11-'12: Bass 4, Bass 2

ThisBeEmily Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:35 am

Does anyone know how to layer music in Finale 2010?
Like.. For example I have a Baritone 1 part, but I want two people playing two separate things on that same line.
2009 WIPE Vibraphone
2010 NoW 1st Bass
2011 WHS 1st Bass
2012 WHS Snare

2009 Rise of the Samurai Warrior
2010 From Dusk Til Dawn
2011 Les Miserables
2012 State of Mind

tboliske Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:37 pm

You would use 'Layers'. I'm not being sarcastic, Finale refers to this as Layers. Look under the View Menu for 'Show Active Layer' and in the lower left corner of the screen to switch layers. Finale allows for a maximum of 4 Layers. This is for the full version of Finale, lower/entry level versions will be different.

billc36 Offline

Re: Re:

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:35 am

RyanCHS93 wrote:Can someone tell me how to put cymbal rolls in marimba/vibe parts without having so many ledger lines? I don't have a template either, so I don't know if that could be the problem. Also, When I'm trying to map parts for aux/rack it won't load all of the sounds. I don't understand why its doing that, but its getting pretty annoying, so if anyone can help, thank you. :D
Lemme put on my psychic hat and figure this out....

Damn, no luck. I still can't figure out any specs about what you're using.

Sibelius, Finale, Notion...which software are you using?

RyanCHS93 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: Re:

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 pm

billc36 wrote:
RyanCHS93 wrote:Can someone tell me how to put cymbal rolls in marimba/vibe parts without having so many ledger lines? I don't have a template either, so I don't know if that could be the problem. Also, When I'm trying to map parts for aux/rack it won't load all of the sounds. I don't understand why its doing that, but its getting pretty annoying, so if anyone can help, thank you. :D
Lemme put on my psychic hat and figure this out....

*beep*, no luck. I still can't figure out any specs about what you're using.

Sibelius, Finale, Notion...which software are you using?
Sorry, I'm using Sibelius 6 with VDL 2.5. :lol:
Celebration High School
'08-'10: Sax
'10-'11: Bass 3
'11-'12: Center Snare/Drumline Section leader

Tampa Bay Thunder
'11-'12: Bass 4, Bass 2

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:55 pm

You need the template, otherwise notes will appear as they appear on the keyboard.

awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:20 pm

See, I have the Finale 2011 template (with Finale 2011, VDL 2.5) from the Write Score, and my cymbal parts still appear as they are on the keyboard. Am I doing something wrong? I end up just using staff styles to make it look good, but that only works when the entire bar is cymbal crashes/rolls. If they crash on 1 and play on 2, I'm stuck with loads of ledger lines.