Working For It Lick

post music that you wrote!

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

markfoster Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Working For It Lick

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Here's a piece I wrote for the song "Working For It" by Zhu. This project started out as a way for me to experiment with different hybrids and patterns, but I really like the way it turned out. It's supposed to start at the second chorus. Let me know what you think.
Here's a link to the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1awIcBrhw
Attachments
Working For It.pdf
(109.03 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Last edited by markfoster on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
DeKalb High School 2013-2017
Indiana University 2017-2018

Zeta12ti Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Working For It Lick

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Looks really cool! Just one notation criticism: whenever you have tuplets over something that isn't a duple, it'd be helpful to explicitly mark the intended duration. For example, my interpretation of measure 9 is that the fivelets are each in the space of a dotted eighth note. It would be helpful if it were written with 5:3 instead of 5 in the tuplet. The same thing applies to measure 3. I assume it's the same: the fivelets are 5:3 and the 10-let is 10:1.

The fourlets in measure 6 are fine, since marking it as a tuplet with the "4" indicates that it's probably over 3.

markfoster Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Your interpretations are correct. I agree with what your saying and originally I tried to do that, but the software I use won't allow me to do that. I use Finale printmusic because it's less expensive. Unfortunately, there are some features that are restricted for the full version, and I'm pretty sure that's one of them.

Zeta12ti Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:29 am

markfoster wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 8:08 pm
Your interpretations are correct. I agree with what your saying and originally I tried to do that, but the software I use won't allow me to do that. I use Finale printmusic because it's less expensive. Unfortunately, there are some features that are restricted for the full version, and I'm pretty sure that's one of them.
Ah alright. I'm having a great time learning this (up to 40 bpm XD). It sorta reminds me of BKSpreE (warning: crappy recording; sheet music attached) with the weird metric changes and syncopation.

Am I right in assuming that the accents in the first beat of the second measure should be what's written in the sticking (RlrrL RlrrL)? It looks like the second accent got displaced by one note. It sounds good either way: I really like the syncopation in what's written, but it might be hard to play at tempo. Maybe the sticking could be RllRl RlrrL.
Attachments
BKSpreESnare.pdf
(66.01 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Aside from a few accents not lining up with the sticking capitalization below, looks good. Fast as hell, but nothing wrong with that
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich

markfoster Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Zeta12ti wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 12:29 am
markfoster wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 8:08 pm
Ah alright. I'm having a great time learning this (up to 40 bpm XD). It sorta reminds me of BKSpreE (warning: crappy recording; sheet music attached) with the weird metric changes and syncopation.

Am I right in assuming that the accents in the first beat of the second measure should be what's written in the sticking (RlrrL RlrrL)? It looks like the second accent got displaced by one note. It sounds good either way: I really like the syncopation in what's written, but it might be hard to play at tempo. Maybe the sticking could be RllRl RlrrL.
I really like that change you suggested, so I updated the file. Always open to input.

markfoster Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:39 pm

MrSirEric wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 2:03 pm
Aside from a few accents not lining up with the sticking capitalization below, looks good. Fast as hell, but nothing wrong with that
Question: how do you do that thing where you put the video in the post?

Zeta12ti Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:58 pm

markfoster wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 5:39 pm
MrSirEric wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 2:03 pm
Question: how do you do that thing where you put the video in the post?
When you're making a post in the full editor (not the small editor at the bottom of a post), there's a button on the same line as the bold, italics, underlined, etc. that says youtube. If you click it, you get [youtube][/youtube]. You can embed Youtube videos in a post with [youtube]<Youtube code here>[/youtube]. For example, the video I linked above has the code uTTd66bf0Z8.

More on topic, I've been learning this song a bit more (up to 60 BPM :D) and I noticed that the accent at the beginning of measure 14 is starting to be a bit difficult to play. I started playing it with the left instead (so Rrrrrr Llll Rlll Rlll). Thoughts? I guess it'd be possible to play it on the right, it would just be a bit of a subdued accent. That might be what you're going for, so I thought I'd ask.

markfoster Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:16 pm

When I play it, I'm not putting a huge emphasis on the accent. The accent is there mostly as a formality (because I'm going for that two four feel, but in triplets) and the priority is definitely on getting all 7 of the rights out.