'14 - Vietnam, 3rd Bass
'15 - Carnaval, 2nd Bass
'16 - Lunar Phases, Tenors

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: A cadence I wrote a while back

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:32 pm

I think the writing is good and I typically don't critique that too much, but I have to ask: in the snare part, there's a big chunk near the end that's notated with bass drum unison notes. Is that section supposed to be played differently? If so, what did you intend
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Good job. I'm definitely not gonna crap on anybody's writing, and I think any writing is just fantastic, so I say kudos to you. Let me just toss out some suggestions.

1. Dynamics. What are they? You don't have any dynamics indicated. Drums rely on dynamics for expression, and absence of dynamics is the hallmark of amateur writing effort.

2. Snares and Quads: I definitely recommend sticking patterns indicated. You have a lot of flam stuff that, it seems natural to me, to be flam taps, but nobody knows for sure if not indicated. Rim shots... example M8B4 and M9B1-2... if this is traddy then I guess I would assume those shots would be R L L R L L R L, but again I just don't know. If this is on musescore (and boy, does it look like musescore) a simple CTL+L gets you into the "Lyrics" space, and after that it's R L R L R all day long. This dovetails with MrSirEric's suggestion.

4. Quads... show the sticking patterns AND make sure the sticking patterns make sense. Example, once the quads really get going on M7, I'm having trouble figuring that out. I typed out a whole paragraph of hypothetical stickings talking about scrapes and crossovers, but then I realized it me look like an a-hole. So the bottom line is simply that you have to notate your intent, and make sure your intent makes physical sense.

3. Cymbals... I have no idea what technique these notes represent. Crashes... chokes... hi-hats? Again, hit that lyrics space and start typing in some NC, FC, HH, CH whatever. Assuming musescore again, CTL+N allows you to insert staff notes, and staff notes are pretty important for cymbals. Do you envision the cymbals splitting parts? Applying visuals? If so, you ought to state so in your score.

4. With cymbals... make sure you have a good understanding of solid cymbal technique. I'm a fan of "set... prep... play... release" so for a cymbal player assuming a new stroke, then its not unreasonable (just for starters) to have a single note span four counts of technique! Obviously, that's not set in stone by any means, but you have to be mindful.

Good job... keep it up!
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:16 pm

schorsquatch wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 pm
a simple CTL+L gets you into the "Lyrics" space, and after that it's R L R L R all day long.
Writing in stickings is the bane of my existence as a writer. I know it's necessary but man is it a pain
Cedar Park High School

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 pm

I usually just put them in when it's not natural sticking and on accented notes. Anything to make it easier
Cedar Park High School