#ATFD -- First completed cadence, feedback requested

post music that you wrote!

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

PADetz Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

#ATFD -- First completed cadence, feedback requested

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:28 pm

I've tried writing cadences (and drumline music in general) in the past, but this is the first cadence I've ever completed. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what's good, what's not, what needs work, etc. I readily admit that a) I made up the tenor part as I went along, I didn't have a "vision" for it like I did the snare and bass parts; b) I only used the old-school roll and drag notation as shorthand, because I didn't want to write out every 16th note this time around.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1ek6nfz26emq ... D.pdf?dl=0

EDIT: Finally figured out Finale, so here it is done on a computer instead of handwritten -- no more old-school rolls and drags!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcvn7h7g210xsqm/atfd.pdf?dl=0
Philip Aaron Gorodetzky
- White House High School Band of Pride: Pit, 2007-2010; Bass, 2011; Center Snare/Drum Captain, 2012
- East Robertson High School Maroon Regiment: Drum Tech, 2013
- Vanderbilt University Spirit of Gold: Snare, 2013-2016, center 2014-2015, Drum Captain 2015

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: #ATFD -- First completed cadence, feedback requested

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Writing of the cadence looks pretty good. Only thing I can really suggest is certain changes to the notation.

In bars 13, 15, and 16 (for snares, I saw the rhythms in other places but you'll know what I mean.) change the format from a 16th note with an 8th rest after it to a dotted 8th note. It's the exact same rhythm but it just looks better notation-wise. Anywhere else you had that rhythm I'd suggest changing it.

A similar change for the basses in measures 1-4, and 9-12. Instead of the tied 16th and 8th notes, just use dotted 8th notes.

In measures 14 and 15 of the tenor part, is there a reason you used 16th notes with 16th rests after them instead of regular 8th notes on beats 4 and 1? I only ask because I don't know if they're supposed to be skanks or dampened or if they're just a mistake that got overlooked. If they're supposed to be played differently I'd suggest putting a note there, if not then it's just a mistake I'm overthinking.

In measures 13-16 on the bass part, I'd actually recommend not staffing beats 2 and 3 together, and instead break the staff and put rests between beats. I only stay this because to some players (myself included) having multiple beats staffed together like that can be a little hard to read and comprehend at first.

Any of the changes I suggested don't just have to go in the places I mentioned. Those are just the spots I noticed them first. I know it seems like a lot but I'm just really long-winded. It's well-written and I think it's a good cadence, it just has the sheet music equivalent of a few grammar mistakes, and nothing that makes it unreadable either.
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich