post music that you wrote!

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Superveloce Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Free Drumline Notation Software

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good, free music notation software that can be used to write drumline cadences. I don't need anything like Finale or Sibelius. Has anyone used Musescore? How easy is it to write drumline music using it? If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Free Drumline Notation Software

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Welcome to the club! I have been on the search for one of these. It occurred to me. It doesn't exist, unless you learn Java and MusicXML and write a program yourself. Yes, I have tried Musescore, and it is very difficult to use. I don't like it. Don't waste your time. You have two choices. You could squander up 50-100 dollars and buy a full Finale or Sibelius package, or you could resort to the way they did it back in the day. Uphill, through the snow, both ways. It's called pencil, paper, and this link.

Luck.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Superveloce Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks for the response! I am actually learning Java, but I probably won't be able to make a notation program. As for Musescore, I just tried it. It took me 30 minutes to write like 5 measures, but it was a lot neater than my handwritten copy. The playback was less than satisfactory though, since diddles and flams wouldn't play. I'll probably stick with paper and pencil. I just want it to be as neat and easy to read as possible for when I make copies for everyone else.

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Superveloce wrote:Thanks for the response! I am actually learning Java, but I probably won't be able to make a notation program. As for Musescore, I just tried it. It took me 30 minutes to write like 5 measures, but it was a lot neater than my handwritten copy. The playback was less than satisfactory though, since diddles and flams wouldn't play. I'll probably stick with paper and pencil. I just want it to be as neat and easy to read as possible for when I make copies for everyone else.
Welcome to music notation..any of the programs will take that long at first but once you begin to learn the shortcuts and how to actually do the things you'll be much quicker with it.
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Superveloce wrote:Thanks for the response! I am actually learning Java, but I probably won't be able to make a notation program. As for Musescore, I just tried it. It took me 30 minutes to write like 5 measures, but it was a lot neater than my handwritten copy. The playback was less than satisfactory though, since diddles and flams wouldn't play. I'll probably stick with paper and pencil. I just want it to be as neat and easy to read as possible for when I make copies for everyone else.

Code: Select all

public static void greetKnight(convert){

boolean isProgrammer;

String yay = "Yaaaay!!!! :D  Join the official Knights of the Round GUI. This will be Snarescience's official programmer's society." 

if(convert.doesCode == true){
        isProgrammer = true;
      JTextArea.append(yay);
        }
}
sorry...
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:25 pm

VoteLobster wrote:

boolean isProgrammer;

String yay = "Yaaaay!!!! :D  Join the official Knights of the Round GUI. This will be Snarescience's official programmer's society." 

isProgrammer = true;
      JTextArea.append(yay);
        }
}
sorry...

Print "This is why I've been coding in Python recently"
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:11 pm

ottomagne wrote:
VoteLobster wrote:

boolean isProgrammer;

isProgrammer = true;
      JTextArea.append(yay);
        }
}
sorry...

Print "This is why I've been coding in Python recently"
+1
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Kaitou wrote:
+1

cd Forum\ Thread; echo +1;
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

orangeyouglad Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:35 pm

If you really want when you finish you can scan it and post the scans on this thread and i should be able to write it out for you in sib.

zball75 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Noteflight

DCHS Drumline
11-12 Snare
12-13 Snare
13-14 Snare
Youtube Channel
Twitter

Superveloce Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:07 pm

Can Noteflight notate drumline music?

OsumMan Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:08 pm

I actually really like noteflight, it has all the functions I need and the keyboard shortcuts are fairly easy. While I do like using pencil and paper it is nice to get a final version done on the computer.

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Generally I do pencil and graph paper (OCD tendency) and then use Musescore for the final version. I've been using Musescore for a couple years now so I've learned to use it fairly speedily and i know the tips and tricks, but it can still be agrivating. Bottome line, if you're absolutely dying for free software, Musescore is where you should go because (after you put enough time into it) it can basically do everything you'd want out of a software. But saving up for high-end software and maybe virtual drumline is a heck of a lot better. (Musescore's playback system is useless for battery)
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Moral of the story, if you want others to enjoy and play your creations, write them so normal people can play them.
http://nathanaaronphotography.wordpress.com/

extrikate Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Location: where the sun shines, the beaches are plenty, and the mice are 6' tall

Re:

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 am

I have yet to see a notation software that doesn't require a little time investment to learn. Musescore is free and can handle the notation task. It was pretty descent when I used it years ago even before some of the improvements for percussion.

People need to stop getting hung up playback. Yes, it is a great feature but it is not notation. If your concern is notation, free, then doing without playback may be the compromise. That said, one of our members has created a marching percussion plugin for Musescore that improves the playback capability.

When I started teaching, yes uphill both ways in the snow with bears, everything was written out on staff paper and the only playback was giving to my group and having them actually play it back. It will make you much better at notation because, I feel, that constantly checking the playback makes people lazy because they can listen and correct vs being more confident/competent in their skills.

Give Musescore a try. It will do a decent job of providing a highly readable, reproducible and editable music file. Don't let playback features steer you away from it. The money you could spend on Finale/Sibelius can buy a lot of mallets, sticks and be- eer soda. Fortunately, some of us are able to afford both but it took a while to get to that point. Have fun!
"If two people agree on everything, then one of them is unnecessary." -Winston Churchill

DCA: 1993-1996, 2012-2014
Pipe Band: 2005-present
Instructor: 1995-present

MusicGuy11311 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:54 pm

If you haven't Check notflight recently, there are drumline sounds on there now, and it is fairly easy to notate on there. i used it for about a year, and then got Finale. but anyways, its a pretty great software, try it out.

MusicGuy11311 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:55 pm

But, i just found out to use the full sounds, you do have to pay a monthly fee of like, $7, or a yearly fee of $50.

austantinople Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:43 am

Noteflight and Musescore are the best free ones out there IMO. I think Musescore is better than Finale, at least the free version. I have only used them for scoring keyboard parts so I don't know how good they are with drums.

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:03 pm

Guys, I'm a huge advocate of musescore... and as I think extrikate alluded to, I'm the guy that put together the soundfont and xml files for marching percussion for that program. Musescore is essentially programming via committee, so it can and does do some silly things. It takes some work to learn, but version 2.0 is showing big improvements.

The thing that I like most about musescore is, since its free, I can share files with my students without formatting issues. Several of my guys are really showing a lot of advanced writing skills, and musescore gives us the ability to share ideas easily. I do have students working with noteflight too. I guess it comes down to what you're most comfortable with. If you really want high quality playback, then there are better programs. If you want the flexibility to write and share scores then musescore is a great choice. If you prefer the internet option, then noteflight is great.

A quick note about playback... and this is purely my opinion. The VDL plugins are so good, and sound so awesome, its kind of hard to screw it up. Seriously. A lot of bad writing choices get a "pass" because the playback is always in time, and the VDL samples are just so darn nice. Those bad choices do not translate well when you put them in the hands of a 14 year old. Likewise, poor samples or playback (like musescore... and those are my samples BTW) sometimes require a real leap of faith to carry them forward to an actual drumline. So take the playback for what it is. If you are that person that is writing music to sell, or to sell yourself as an arranger, or you are relying on quality playback for whatever is your bread and butter... do not skimp on your composition software.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

austantinople Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:52 pm

True that. The playback has seriously gotten a lot better on Musescore, version 2.0 proves that. It sounds great by itself.

kyakruu Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:51 am

The thing that I like most about musescore is, since its free, I can share files with my students without formatting issues. Several of my guys are really showing a lot of advanced writing skills, and musescore gives us the ability to share ideas easily. I do have students working with noteflight too. I guess it comes down to what you're most comfortable with. If you really want high quality playback, then there are better programs. If you want the flexibility to write and share scores then musescore is a great choice. If you prefer the internet option, then noteflight is great.