Best Tenor Pads

all discussion for the other battery sections

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

geneva_d Offline
noob
noob

Best Tenor Pads

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:21 pm

I've been looking for some quality tenor pads lately because I want to ready myself for next season DCI. But I'm trying to look for a fit tenor pad for me. I've heard some bad/good things about X pads, eventhough expensive my budget is just a little under $200. I've been looking at some Ahead pads as well, but dont know which one is sturdy and trustful. Also I really want rims on the pad. Any suggestions?

BluewayKid Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Ahead practice pads or a custom ******* pad is what I would recommend. While you can get the vic firth heavy hitter, it doesn't have any rims on it taking away at good scrape technique and also the heavy hitter seems to rely on the laminate, and without it, would make just about every stroke have a dragging feel to it.

anthonydrums Offline
noob
noob

Re: Best Tenor Pads

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:52 pm

From my experience I can say that the Prologix tenors are really good pads because they have rims that don't damage sticks and they have a pretty good natural feel and sound, either that or a ******* tenor but if you don't want to wait two months for a ******* go with prologix or ahead chavez tenor pads.

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:09 pm

If you can find one somewhere online cheaper than the Offworld site, go for Offworld's Mothership pad. X pads are good, but if you're looking to prepare for next season of DCI, your X pad won't arrive until finals week if you order it right now
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich

Cybershwartz Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:14 am

Just don't buy a *******, they're really bad for the price and fall apart easily, the rims are pretty much just glued onto the pad, so is the ProLogix I'm pretty sure. They're just unreliable.

I'd recommend sticking with the Chavez Ahead pad. I've personally had it for a year-and-a-half and it's a great pad that is resilient and doesn't fall apart.
People say your sticks get chewed up bad while practicing on it but that's never really happened to me. The only annoying part is that the rims are intentionally bigger, which is good in the long run, but makes an incredibly annoying high-pitched noise whenever you hit it while playing sweeps.
If you don't like the gum-rubber you can always get laminates too!

The best cheaper option would be the Vic Pad, which is also pretty good. It's very responsive and I love the feel of the pad.