EXTREMELY annoying Tenor Crossover Trouble

all discussion for the other battery sections

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

PHTheKing Offline
noob
noob

EXTREMELY annoying Tenor Crossover Trouble

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:01 pm

To start, I have two years of tenor playing experience and can play most sweep patterns fine and crossovers don't usually give me any trouble. But a couple licks for an upcoming audition I have have been giving me a lot of trouble.

ALSO: I know about those triple stroke exercises with the guy with black curly hair, but none of those deal with the types of crossover scrapes that I will describe, but if you can convince me why I should try them out, I will.

The first one is in the pattern RRRLLLRRRLLL the entire times with drums as follows, with crossovers in parentheses:

||: 311 422 124 (213) 421 421 (421) 312 :||

This is all played at 130 bpm as 16th notes.
The issue arises mainly on those last two groupings, where my right hand is trying to hit drum one while crossed over my left hand which is prepped at drum 3. I don't want to angle my hand downwards, but it seems I have to angle my right hand down, otherwise the butt of the right stick hits my left arm. I've tried bringing my left hand farther out, but that leads to a really quick motion to bring it back, which doesn't feel good at all.

-----------

The second pattern is similar with a triple stroke while crossed over. This time the pattern is RLLL repeated

1422 1122 1213 (1)312

The problem here is the last grouping where it's difficult to get a good stroke with my left hand when the right hand has just played. Again this is at 130 bpm as 16th notes.

---

At these high speeds I do rely on some arm for a good triple stroke, and I know to focus on the upstroke. I'm not sure if it's something to do with my stroke or maybe someone here knows how to position myself to avoid these issues.

TL;DR: triple stroking scrapes while crossed over is giving me issues.

FerreusOpus Offline
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Re: EXTREMELY annoying Tenor Crossover Trouble

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:50 am

Guy with the black curly hair here (well, not anymore, cut all that hair a while ago).

Are you playing on big or small quads? The answer to your dilemma is really dependent on that variable.
Youtube.com/FerreusOpus
QuadScience - http://www.snarescience.com/exercises/all-tnr.php
ImageImage

PHTheKing Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 pm

FerreusOpus wrote:Guy with the black curly hair here (well, not anymore, cut all that hair a while ago).

Are you playing on big or small quads? The answer to your dilemma is really dependent on that variable.
These are one big quads. I can't imagine trying it on small quads.

FerreusOpus Offline
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Alright, that's good; having large quads makes it way easier to play. I checked out the around on my quad pad before going to work earlier today and it's definitely an achievable passage of music. Chops may come into play because of the tempo demand, but the around pattern isn't actually too terribly bad. The main thing to understand is that you're going to need to make use of your secondary playing zones on all the drums and your forearms have to be a little tighter together than normal, but you shouldn't have to sacrifice too much wrist angle to perform it well.

Granted, I'm a whole 5' 6" and have shorter arms than someone who's 6', so some around patterns are inherently easier for me to achieve without sacrificing wrist angle/sound quality. If I can find time over the next few days, I'll see about filming my self playing that passage to give you an idea of what it should probably look like.
Youtube.com/FerreusOpus
QuadScience - http://www.snarescience.com/exercises/all-tnr.php
ImageImage

alexlukens Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:41 am

The key for 3 drum sweeps (213, 124, etc) is to focus on playing the correct zone of the second drum in the sequence.

For example, if you are playing a 3 drum sweep on drums 2, 1, than 3, focus on nailing the correct zone on drum 1 during the sweep. If you keep your motion and stroke consistent this will help you nail the drum 3 in the correct zone also. I am unsure of the exact science on why this works, but it does. Trust me!

Key to practicing it is of course, practice it slowly. Give your muscles time to figure out and understand what you are asking of them.

Hope this helps!
Creator of LotHype.com
If you like the website, please share it!
http://www.LotHype.com/
http://www.facebook.com/LotHype
http://www.twitter.com/LotHype