How badly will a summer of bass drum mess w snare chops?

all discussion for the other battery sections

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Csewell Offline
noob
noob

How badly will a summer of bass drum mess w snare chops?

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:04 pm

I recently auditioned for my favorite organization, hoping to find a snare spot there until my ageout 2019, but I was cut due to my "tight" technique, and sent to the bass room. By the end of the weekend, I managed to earn a bass callback, and I've been practicing and preparing to go back next week and get myself a contract.

So my question is, how would a summer of bass drumming (west-coast, broken wrist technique, not rotation) affect my snare-drumming technique/chops? As of right now, I don't want to be a bass drummer for the next 5 summers, and I would hope that I could come back to the same group next winter for a snare drum spot.

Also, I could always march snare at the DCA drum corps equivalent of my indoor line, but that would push me further into this technique/style that I'm trying to move away from. Advice?

Isaiah.Lamb Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: How badly will a summer of bass drum mess w snare chops?

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Well if I'm not mistaken, the broken wrist technique is the same technique you use for snare (minus the traditional left hand), so that's a thing. Also, just because you play bass doesn't mean your chops have to die. Say you do make the corps, there will likely be countless hours on a bus that you can devote to chopping out. But I think you will come to appreciate bass in a way you never thought you would. I love snare, and I've been a snare player my whole life, but I've really started to appreciate the bass drum. Given the opportunity, I would love to be a bass drummer. I bet you can learn to really love it too.

ohmycheese Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:22 am

If you march bass, its still a win for you.

You will have lots of bus time hours to practice. You can even learn the technique from one of the snares if you ask them to help you. You'll earn marching experience as well as start a relationship with the staff that could lead to you marching snare in the future. Of course you'll have to be at the level they want but that's why you keep practicing. Plus you'll learn bass stuff that you could use if you ever decide to tech anywhere.
Hawaii
DCI 2014

NikeDrummer1994 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:53 am

Just because you March one summer on bass drum doesn't mean you're a bass drummer for life. Everyone starts somewhere and either way it's a pretty big deal for you to March a drum anywhere.

But hey I'm a firm believer in the idea of "you don't choose your drum, your drum chooses you"

gnarwall Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re:

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:13 am

Do it, you'll have an awesome time. It won't mess with the chopity chops at all.

Csewell Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks for the responses guys!

I went back out this weekend and got cut, and it looks like I'll be playing snare drum this Summer after all.

NGPercussion Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:45 am

As a percussionist, we must learn a variety of techniques on each instrument to employ when the time comes. Marching a bass spot would be great, and shouldn't affect snare playing, since they are two different instruments. Play the snare like a snare, and the bass like a bass. You've had some degree of instruction on both (more on bass if you get that contract), so why change now?
Percussioning since 2003.