Ridiculous back pain

all discussion for the other battery sections

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

DoctoralThesis Offline
noob
noob

Ridiculous back pain

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Hello people.. I have recently been put on my audition instrument (tenors) for my school's indoor line. I marched bass 4 in the previous marching season, which wasn't TOO bad. However, yesterday during a rehearsal we were tracking our intro for the first time (180 bpm) and during the 3rd rep or so I had to stop playing and put the drums up. This happened several times. What do I do to push through the pain?

Side note, woke up this morning and my mid/lower back is intensely sore. Normal?

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Ridiculous back pain

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:20 pm

If you are hurting so bad that you have to stop, and you have recurring pain, then that is not normal.

Go to a doctor, and have them get you on a conditioning regimen.

Over the counter back braces have been shown to not be effective in reducing the rate of injury, according to NIOSH.

People that suffer back injuries are 50% more likely to suffer recurring injuries. Get it taken care of now. I spent the last 2 years working as a safety officer at a public utility, so I know my stuff when it comes to back injuries. Don't mess around with it.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

DoctoralThesis Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:19 pm

schorsquatch wrote:If you are hurting so bad that you have to stop, and you have recurring pain, then that is not normal.

Over the counter back braces have been shown to not be effective in reducing the rate of injury, according to NIOSH.

People that suffer back injuries are 50% more likely to suffer recurring injuries. Get it taken care of now. I spent the last 2 years working as a safety officer at a public utility, so I know my stuff when it comes to back injuries. Don't mess around with it.
Thanks. My back feels sore, like any other part of your body would. I'm just hoping that I will get used to it and the muscles will get stronger.

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:41 am

DoctoralThesis wrote:
schorsquatch wrote:If you are hurting so bad that you have to stop, and you have recurring pain, then that is not normal.

Thanks. My back feels sore, like any other part of your body would. I'm just hoping that I will get used to it and the muscles will get stronger.

Comparing quad pain to bass pain is not a great comparison because the two work out completely different muscle groups. With the quads' weight all out front, the lower back has to work much harder, forcing your core to work overtime to maintain balance.

The good news is, you are probably doing something right, as the correct muscles are sore. The better news is, there are things you can do to help the process along.

Namely: planking. Its a full core workout. Take some time to do some planking every day, and those muscles will get stronger, and will endure more. You're never going to get to the point where you're not tired at the end of rehearsal, but you can eliminate some of the soreness pretty quickly.

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Maybe, or maybe not. Maybe planks are the solution. I would let a doctor tell me though.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:24 pm

schorsquatch wrote:Maybe, or maybe not. Maybe planks are the solution. I would let a doctor tell me though.

If the muscles are sore, that's not an injury. Given that that's the information he's giving me, the 20 some odd years of experience with the activity tells me strengthening the muscles involved is a good way to go. Notice I didn't tell him NOT to go to a doctor.

Either way, planks aren't going to hurt.

muthkw25 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:15 pm

It sounds like your back muscles are very weak and/or not use to carrying that kind of load. I would do a few things to help your back. 1) You can wear a weight belt. You can pick these up at any sporting goods stores. You tighten the belt around your lower back to help added support. They are crucial to wear during weight lifting, especially when working back muscles. 2) I would wear the drums as much as you can, get as much time as possible to help strengthen your back. 3) Workout back and lower back muscles. I would start training and doing some dead lifts, and focus on building up your back muscles. You will use them all throughout marching and might as well make them as strong as possible in the off season. This will help you when the season beginnings for outdoor. If your back is sore because of the weight its not a problem. If you have a throbbing pain or have a sharp pain, I would stop. That's a sign of nerve damage or other severe damage.

DoctoralThesis Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:09 pm

Thanks guys for all the input. Woke up this morning and my back is totally nice and healed up. It was definitely the good pain I was feeling. I will try some planks and similar exercises. I do not have any equipment at my disposal. I'm going to check with my school to see if the gym is available for use after school. I will be talking to a doctor about a fitted back brace (apparently my insurance covers it) and general advice on keeping my back healthy.

awakentosleep Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:50 am

A back brace isn't really going to cut it. You really need to spend time doing planks, crunches, leg lifts, pilates, yoga, or anything you can do to strengthen your core. As Joe said, the issue is more about your entire core supporting the weight, not just the back. If you try to do it all with your back, you'll get injured. It wouldn't hurt to work on your quads, hamstrings, and butt as well, as they also play a role.

If you get in really good shape with that, there will be a time when you won't really notice the weight anymore. When I was marching, there would come a time a couple weeks into the summer when I would basically stop feeling the drums as heavy. Granted, every single other muscle in my body would be sore after rehearsal, but I wouldn't be experiencing back pain anymore.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re:

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 pm

Definitely do the core exercises...planks, Russian Twists, crunches on a yoga or Bosu ball. Also, make sure that your quads and calve muscles are carrying your weight correctly through the marching/crabbing process. I have found that as my leg muscles got stronger (and were able to be more of a contributing member to the weight transfer process) that my back suffered less.

MANY of my students doctors have suggested the above types of exercises as well as lower back ones too. It might be a good idea to see yours for more specific suggestions than we are giving, but over the past 15 years, the ones I mentioned above were ALWAYS suggested. Also, the strength and conditioning coach at my school has suggested pretty much the same thing, as well as my GF, who worked with the Detroit Red Wings in the same capacity back in the 90's as a skating/strength coach

No matter what, tenors hit you in the worst area, and they will always cause some discomfort, but you can be proactive about it and lessen the blow so to speak.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Danishur24 Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:22 pm

I have the same problem. I'm a junior, 5ft 9, 150 lbs and have been marching quads for 2 weeks. When I first get them on I'm alright, but after getting 1 minutes breaks every 20 minutes or so for about an hour, my back really gives out. I start to get a pain so severe that I dread ever deciding to march quads, even though I love playing them and I'm at an extremely high playing level. I start shrinking to the ground and feeling like I'm gonna pass out after a while. I don't want to quit marching band but I feel like I need to so I won't have spine/back problems in the future. I marched snare last year and I was fine... But quads... Feels like they're at least 3x heavier. I also work out a lot so I don't know why I suddenly am a *beep* at marching quads. I'd like to say I have the biggest disadvantage in the drumline scale wise from body to size to instrument size, but I don't know

NGPercussion Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Depending on the brand/size of the drums, they can be ridiculously heavy. There will always be pain involved when marching a drum in an intense situation, but if there are intense, severe, nonstop pains or throbs, go to a doctor. Worst case scenario, you pay your copay and get some exercises to work on to strengthen your drum carrying muscles.
Percussioning since 2003.

Ethan Mccraw Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 am

I'm having a like problem. I play snare in my high school and my lower back has been hurting for a month. I marched with a 22' bass for two years and this is my second year playing snare. I don't feel that it's the muscle because last year i didn't have this problem. If anyone could help that would be great :)